TheBanyanTree: Rules of the Game

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 11 16:02:50 PDT 2005

Man, do I have a lot to learn about being a chick.  I mean, I've been
this gender for quite some time now but it has taken putting life as I
know it at terminal risk to know what I didn't know about being part of
the female culture.  It seems that there are lessons waiting around
every corner and some of them have very sharp teeth with which to bite
my ankles when they catch up to me.  These lessons will be one day be
fodder for my memoirs; some of them are painful but still learnable.
I'm sure there must be a boy code out there, an unwritten manual by
which men must conduct themselves in order for the continued harmony of
male cohesiveness.  Even if there isn't, I know for sure there is for us.

I didn't think I actually broke a rule, but the penalty was called none
the less.  It doesn't matter that I don't know the rules to this game
and it makes no difference that I don't even watch from the sidelines
for sport in my normal existence.  The flag has been thrown onto the
field, the whistle was blown and the other team stands with jaw wide at
my blunder.  I don't know that I can fix it even if I knew where to
begin or what tools to bring to the job.  I am very saddened that it
happened but it was unintentional.  I know that doesn't make it better
but I hope it counts for something.  Whether or not it ultimately does
isn't even up to me.

No one is harder on me than I am on myself.  There are many aspects of
my current frame of mind that I am very aware are quite wrong.  I don't
give myself quarter for it and I don't expect that from other people,
either.  I know that the lapse of some judgments will make others doubt
any of my judgments.  This along with so much more is the price I am
paying and will continue to pay for choosing to live on the edge.  I
don't blame anyone but myself for this but there is still a part of me
just aching to be known as the person for which I have always been
known.  The more intimate parts that I have put at risk seem separate to
me but I know by intellect that it will all be mixed and mired for most
other people.  Who is to say who is more right?

I live my life in an upfront manner that has sometimes, and I'm sure
will continue, to make some things difficult.  Not everyone can abide by
blunt force honesty not to mention the fact that I am often not very
good at delivering it.  So I find myself misunderstood these days and
without a lot of emotional energy left to go through the effort of
explaining what I mean.  I want to just lie back and let whatever people
will think make them do whatever they will do. We all have a choice when
presented with information.  But, in this case, it is worth the effort
to try and explain.  It is worth the effort to make amends to my own
detriment trying to prove that the perception of my mistake was not
intentional and to my perception didn't happen the way it was taken.
Because I may not know all the rules and I may have a suck ass way of
trying to put words to my thoughts but I know I love my friend.  By
following some inherent instincts I think I can find a way to start the
clock again and continue play.

The cramps and limps will work themselves out.  I hope.

Maria