TheBanyanTree: This Woman's Crisis

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Wed Oct 26 09:06:04 PDT 2005

The title: "This woman's Crisis," could apply to any of us at any age. I know
that men have their mid-life crisis, it's an accepted factual myth . or
mythical fact.  Most survive it.

In the olden days, an occasional woman would go bonkers during menopause and
be locked up, shunned, hidden away until she was back to normal, whatever that
might be.

There comes a time when we want to know who we are. We spend our lives being
what we're expected to be, we are identified by who we are with, "mother"
"wife" . ."girlfriend." "Maiden Auntie."  We're Missus Steve, or Dave's mother.
Even we with jobs and careers are more identified with the job than with whom we
are. "Oh, yes, you're the secretary" the "teacher"  the "cleaning lady."

Comes a time when even we don't know who we are. Except, some little nub deep
within wants out.  We know we're overweight or thin, able or frightened,
humorous or a loner, but that little nub defies being named.

I search for that nub. Like shopping at the Mall of America.  "What are you
shopping for?"  I dodn't know. But I might recognize it when I find it .. or I
may not. I may pass right by.  I don't know what I'm looking for. I merely
skip from store to store, interest to interest, talent to talent, person to
person. I feel like someone asleep for a hundred years and suddenly awake to a
world I do not know. I look in a mirror and see an old broad, not me at all. I was
winsome, hungry, hopeful, not grey and dry.

I don't know that woman. Yet . . . yet. . in her eyes, I catch a glimpse of a
nub of light.

I don't seek happiness, for that's another myth.  I don't seek sudden and
youthful health and  vigor. I'm no dummy, after all.  I think I seek a place
where I can me ME, whoever that might be.

Or, perhaps we have spent so many years being  someone else, playing other
roles, that the essence of us is lost in Time.  I want to shed all my aliases
and disguises.  Yet, maybe we are all bound up in our roles and that is really
who we are.

Perhaps we look for something that never was . .

but we search, just the same.

NancyLee