TheBanyanTree: First Frost

Russ Doden Russ at nogard4cd.com
Mon Oct 24 09:20:17 PDT 2005

This morning, as I was driving in to work I realized that the first frost
of the season was on the roof tops in my condo complex.  This is a
welcome sign to me, a harbinger of discomfort to others.  Some of
my friends dread the coming of cool weather, to them anything below
80 degrees F is cold, to others, such as myself, cool weather is a
welcome time.  I'm a big believer that when it gets cool out you can
always put more clothes on to stay comfy.  When it is hot, you can
only take off so much, then you are standing there stark neeked, and
are still hot.  It is hard to believe that only 5 or 6 days ago it we were
setting record highs here in Oklahoma with day time highs being
over 90 degrees F.  That is unheard of for October here.

This morning, frost was on the rooftops of many homes.  People and
plants will change in appearance, preparing for the cold of winter.
Some of us are slower to change though I guess.  Yesterday I
walked to the grocery store to get a couple things I forgot on
Saturday.  It was cool out with a wind out of the north.  What I call a
"brisk" day - one in which I feel alive and full of wonder with the
changing of the seasons.  During my walk, I noticed people looking
at me like I was demented - or perhaps with pity, thinking perhaps I
had no warm clothes to wear.  Most of the people I saw were walking
about in sweatshirts and warm jackets, heads pulled down close to
the shoulders trying to keep warm.  I was walking along in a short
sleeved shirt, feeling the weather.  Maybe I am demented, but I was
enjoying feeling the cool wind, even if it did raise a bit of a chill on my
arms.  When the sun would peek out from behind a cloud, it held a
gentle warmth, something to be appreciated instead of the blistering
torture that is the summer.  I look forward to the fall, to the changing
weather and all it brings, though not everyone appreciates it as I do.
It is a good day to be aware - and give thanks.

Today was the first frost of the fall
A time that marks the time of harvest
Forcing a change of wardrobes for some
White decorations appear on rooftops
Cars left outdoors overnight turn pale white
Plants begin the time of rest, turning within
Fall is finally here with all it represents
I turn to the west and think of the time of harvest
Gratitude is in my heart for all I have been given
I listen to hear the change of nature’s sounds
The summer is past, a late fall has come at last
How long before the late fall passes into winter
Cool air will turn to the biting cold soon enough
Now is a time to celebrate and appreciate though
Tomorrows cold nights will come soon enough
Today is the day of the first signs of frosted roofs

Russ