TheBanyanTree: Singing our Song

Mark Funk Mark at arboretum.umn.edu
Fri Oct 14 15:24:05 PDT 2005

>>> Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com> 10/13/05 08:41PM >>

One summer my mom dropped me off at the dance once a week at the all boy's camp.  On Friday nights there was a dance for the local girls to get in for free while the out of town boys would have some kind of wall line-up to not choose from as they stood their frozen ground.  The fearful not lead by the fearful.  No one the wiser.  Welcome to preteen hell.

******
In my case this "hell" took place during "dance class" at the local YMCA, and we (the boys) were required to select a partner.  This wasn't an easy task for an awkward, shy teen.  The dances included waltzes and fox trots, which wasn't really the kind of dancing we wanted to do.

Yet, although I'm not much of dancer and, in fact, would be physically limited on the dance floor, I enjoy the idea of dancing and watching other dance.  As I've heard said, it can be heaven on earth, because it represents letting go, a freedom of the spirit.  Dancing appeals to my personal philosophy that we can trudge through life, feeling low and miserable, or we can dance, enjoying ourselves and those around us.  I'd rather dance (and sing).

My youngest daughter is engaged to be married next spring.  They plan to have a dance and she wants me to do the father/daughter dance with her.  I'm not sure if my arthritic knees and hips will cooperate but I'll get out there to do what I can.

Mark
(Dancing on the inside.)