TheBanyanTree: Singing our Song

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 13 20:41:34 PDT 2005

Music has long since been my salvation.  When I was a girl and alone,
scared and without a friend, it seemed, the songs of the day could keep
me company.  One summer my mom dropped me off at the dance once a week
at the all boy's camp.  On Friday nights there was a dance for the local
girls to get in for free while the out of town boys would have some kind
of wall line-up to not choose from as they stood their frozen ground.
The fearful not lead by the fearful.
No one the wiser.
Welcome to preteen hell.  I can't remember the names of the songs but I
recognize them when they play from time to time.  They invoke memory
mixed with just a smidge of sadness.  Which defines nostalgia to a tee
when all is said and done.

Doesn't it?

Maria