TheBanyanTree: How to celebrate

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Oct 19 16:09:33 PDT 2005

October 19, 2005

Dear Tree,

	After years of torture in a private high school that was
falling apart under the imperial reign of a  misguided director,
Feyna, my lovely daughter, finally stopped going there and opted
instead to get her high school diploma by passing the CHSPE
(California High School Proficiency Exam).  It's a big fat scary test
that is given three times a year by the official people of the
department of education.  Many of those who take the test are  home
schoolers who've not set foot in a crowded underfunded classroom.
Some are like Feyna who have a variety of learning disabilities and
just weren't going to make it through high school the same way the
regular kids made it through.  When and if you pass this exam, you
get the equivalent of a high school diploma that is, by law,
recognized by all state institutions in California and many
elsewhere, too.

	Feyna is a brilliant kid.  But she's just not put together
the way you should be put together if you're going to survive the
onslaught of the high school regimen.  Heavy course load and heavy
rote output, plus many tests and written reports, huge homework
requirements and spitting it all up on an exam.  Best not to learn
anything too deeply because there isn't time if you're going to cover
all the bases.  Not a pretty sight for a real education.  But this is
another whole book.  I've been through that book with Feyna and with
her twin brother, Meyshe who is autistic.  I know the special
education polka.  It's made me fight and it's made me sick.

	We got a big tome written for people wanting to take and pass
this CHSPE.  And we hired a tutor, a really terrific young woman
who's worked with Feyna before, and become part of our family.  Every
day, sometimes on weekends, too, Feyna and Lynette would disappear
into the basement and study for this exam for at least two hours,
sometimes four.  For months.  Feyna was better prepared for this test
than anyone else entering the assigned room with their picture I.D.
and number two pencils, I am sure.  Feyna worked like a dog.  She had
a job two days a week at the local mom and pop grocery store, and
she'd come home, throw down some lunch and hit the books on those
days, too.

	The test was last Saturday.  Way out through the tunnel and
into the interlands of the valley, east of Berkeley.  We were there
bright and early on Saturday at the appointed time and place.  With
the picture I.D. and number two pencil.  In order to avoid taking the
test on Saturday, the Sabbath for us, we would have had to get an
official letter from a Rabbi stating that for religious reasons,
Feyna would be unable to take the test on the Sabbath.  But we don't
belong to a temple; can't find one that suits us, and so there is no
Rabbi with a note.   So Feyna gave up her Shabbos and hunkered down
in the tiny desk in the room for those who needed no distractions.
She got special dispensation for accommodations amounting to a
secluded unbusy room in which to take the test, extra time (up to
twice the amount of time) and frequent breaks.  Both Meyshe and I
gave her a supportive hug and kiss before we left her to her work.
She took the test from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.  Then she called me
and I hurled myself out there with Meyshe in the back seat to pick up
the exhausted girl.  (Don't you think she needed whipped cream?
Whipped cream would be good right about then.)

	She's pretty sure she passed, but she won't find out for six
weeks at least.  Isn't that the anti-climax?  Isn't that the
bureaucratic tango (that's the dance where your partner slaps you
around and beats you to a pulp while you keep in step)?  So they
danced, the state of California and my darling daughter.

	Here's the request all you sumptuous people with great
imaginations who live in a big Banyan Tree:   We need to celebrate
this.  We need one good event now, before we know officially that she
passed the test, and one whopping celebration when we find out and
she's officially graduated from high school.  See, she didn't get to
graduate, walk across that state and accept a curliqued diploma from
an authentic real life institution, in old English or gold leaf or
both.  She really missed that.  What do we do to celebrate?  She's
not a wild party girl, Feyna.  But there is a lot of fun in her.
She's wildly inventive, creative, artistic, at the end of the bell
curve culturally.  What do we do for these two occasions?

	Do I hear suggestions for this two tiered celebration?

	I am begging.

	Help me please.

	Or you can turn the page.

	Love,