TheBanyanTree: Drink and Dial

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Sat Oct 15 11:06:31 PDT 2005

Seems there's a 'fliction going around and I have been infected.  When I
first began this oddity, I thought I had invented it.  Get a little beer
in me and then drag out the cell phone.  Drunken phone calls, that's
what I lovingly refer to it as.  The people I call refer to it the same
way but I doubt lovingly and I'm sure at least a few of my recipients
have said it with a different attitude and facial expression.  Oops.
Since confessing my problem to a few folks I've learned I'm not alone.
And, yeah, they all feel weird about it, too, but still do it.  Like me,
most of them have told all their friends to take the damn phone away but
a determined dialer will find a way; we've all done it, and the next
thing you know the other line is ringing.

I ask myself in the morning, why?  Is it liquid courage or an unveiling
of the need to connect?  Do I have to choose?

Funny thing is, back in the old days which are no more than a few months
gone by, I never even kept my cell on.  It was for my convenience and I
almost never gave the number out because I didn't care to be bothered.
Now I have names and numbers in the contact list from people who were
merely sitting next to me, became interesting and next thing you
know....  I've deleted most of them.  Occasionally I'll remember a
number that has been deleted to protect the innocent which may not turn
out well for them in the end.

So, I get a little fuzzy and I make the call.  There are some people
(God love you folks 'cause I sure do) I can call anytime, no matter how
much I've imbibed or what time it is, and I know for a fact they won't
hate me for it.  Sometimes I'm unaware I've called them until they call
me the next day and recount the funny things I had to say.  Oops.  Not
as big an oops as when I think, know or believe that I have annoyed
someone, though.  That feeling has me cringing the next day and, again,
asking the whys and how comes.  The good thing about that, and I am the
queen of finding the good amongst the sucking, is that I have matured to
some degree.  Now when I think, know or believe that I have annoyed, it
registers the next time and I am (most of the time) able to think twice
before making the dreaded call.  Often it is at the last minute as I
stare at the dialed but unconnected number on the small screen, pants
around my ankles as I sit on a toilet.  Yeah, I'm usually in the
bathroom making the calls.  Don't know what's up with that, either, but
I got bigger fish to question so I don't dwell on that aspect much.

Maria