TheBanyanTree: What were they thinking?

Mark Funk MARK at arboretum.umn.edu
Mon Oct 10 08:41:07 PDT 2005

Someone on this list suggested, in response to my story about telepathy, that a man's mind really isn't that hard for a woman to read.

As I would tell my daughters, "that's a pretty big brush you just painted me with!"  And OK, without talking for all men, I must admit that there are a somewhat limited number of subjects that occupy my mind most of the time, but I do occasionally think of other things.

On the other hand, my daughter's experience last Saturday night does seem to reinforce the concept of the male "one track mind."  Please bear with me while I elaborate.

My daughter, bless her heart, had offered to do some painting on our house.  Because she was busy most of the day on Saturday, it was quite late when she finally made a trip to the local home improvement store to pick up the paint and other supplies for the project.  There were several males in the store at that hour and several of them "hit on" her.  As she said: "What were they thinking, that I put on my grubby clothes and headed to the local hardware store to pick up guys on a Saturday night?"

Speaking as a mere male, the answer may be that it really doesn't matter where we see a pretty girl, we can't resist "taking a shot."  They might also be thinking: "If she is here on a Saturday night, she must be available/not in a relationship, so I have a chance."  Unfortunately for them, their feeble attempts to strike up a conversation over a paint bucket were rebuffed.