TheBanyanTree: Open House

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Oct 9 05:59:12 PDT 2005

It didn’t get to 60 degrees yesterday, but it didn’t matter, because the sky
was a pure blue which accented the golds, reds, and oranges of the fast
changing trees.  There was a breeze from the south, but it didn’t keep me
from wearing shorts while I did my Saturday run.

I chose to run in the “path park,” the park closest to my home.  It was
packed with Canadian geese.  Hundreds of geese were eating the grass and
hundreds of geese were in the pond.  There was geese poop everywhere, so I
had to do obstacle course zigs and zags on some of the paths as I made my
way around the park.

There were a few people walking their dogs (sigh), riding their bikes, and a
couple of runners, but the park was almost deserted compared to just a few
weeks ago when large picnic gatherings were still in full swing.  But there
were a few groups using the grills, and I could catch that aroma when the
breeze was blowing it to my nose.

The run helped calm me down, because I’ve been having too many melt downs
recently, and while I was chugging along, I could get my thoughts in order.
By the time I got back home, my day was set.  My chores were done.  I
checked out our money situation, which is barely hanging on by our
fingernails, and I did some reading.  I listened to the TV while the
Minnesota Gophers got the Little Brown Jug back from Michigan.  The Jug has
not been in Minnesota since 1986.  Now we’re set for next week’s battle for
Paul Bunyon’s Ax with Wisconsin, a game that we’re all going to, even the
grandsons.

So our nice fall-like weekend sets us up for our first real open house.  Our
old agent had an open house, but no one came, and I think, ever though she
denies this, that she never publicized it.  This agent has publicized the
open house, so I’m hoping at least a few people will come.

Ray and I have done our parts.  Ray trimmed the bushes in the front, raked
up some leaves, and thoroughly vacuumed the house.  He also brushed out the
dog hair on our couches and let the cushions air out in the sun.  I cleaned
out the bath tub, watered the plants, and scrubbed up any cat throw-up.  We’
re going to boil a little cinnamon before the open house to eliminate any
pet odors.  I’ll do the hokey thing, and have classical music playing softly
in the background, but I won’t have candles burning.  I think the cinnamon
will be enough.

I’ll go to workout in the morning and maybe I’ll have Ray meet me at the
club, although I’ll get him inside it, and we can go to the open houses from
there.  Perhaps we can have coffee somewhere and finish reading the Sunday
paper or check out the new shopping center in Woodbury.  The possibilities
are endless on a beautiful fall day.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org