TheBanyanTree: Open Letter to Jack

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 13 07:28:24 PST 2005

Dear Jack,

I don't think I should have to tell you this but all signs point to the
need for a small reminder.  Dude--you're a kitten.  You are not Godzilla
and cannot rule Tokyo or kick Mothra ass.  You can't even conquer the
blanket on the couch so your continued efforts to be king of the hill,
keeper of the castle and terrorist on site seem fruitless to the casual
observer.  I applaud the effort and the apparent balls it takes to keep
your eye on those prizes but dude--another bit of trivia for you--the
balls you *do* have are very tiny and due for removal very, very soon
here.  It actually could be said to suck to be you but that is a memo
even I, your mom, isn't willing to send your way.  I love you after all.

And while we're on the subject of what you're not, you are not a dog.
Stop chewing up electrical cords.  Stop burping and farting at will not
to mention all the grumping and groaning as you get comfortable.  For
real--where is your kitten grace?  Your casual elegance and dignified
air?  You are not representing the feline very well around here and with
Delilah sick and trying her best just to not die, it would seem to me
that you have an obligation to be the ultimate cat on premises.  You
should put your personal needs behind that mission, for God's sake.
Buck up baby, suck it up cream puff and be the kitten you were always
meant to be.

Alright, kid, listen up to a few pointers.  I know, I know, you aren't
likely to listen but we all have our roles.  Your's may be to spurn any
advice your mom has to give but it is the role of the good mom to give
the advice anyway.  Maybe it will someday penetrate that tiny head and
even tinier brain to do you a little good.  Here goes.

The dog...?  Not your personal play toy.  Also, not your chore to brush
him so stop combing him with your claws or if you have to keep doing
that, could ya put the little fur tufts in the trash?  I hate them
laying all over the place, your discards.  And another thing.  The dog
is on a special diet and gets only three cups of food a day.  I'm sure
he'd appreciate you not eating any of it although it seems he's a little
afraid to tell you that himself.  He's a bit timid of you.  In fact,
where the dog is concerned, could you just leave the poor mutt alone?
He's got enough issues without a four pound kitten terrorizing him on a
daily basis.

Ok, the rug in the bathroom...?  Not your nemesis.  Yeah, I know, I've
seen some of the battles go on but, dude, the fight is all in your
mind.  The rug is inanimate and just laying there to keep my feet warm
so I'd appreciate you not shredding it just as the cold weather sets
in.  Now, the socks that the boy leaves laying around are all of our
enemy so feel free to continue dragging them around and showing them who
is boss of this house.  Over dirty teen boy socks, it is you all the
way, baby.  Rock on.  But my feet under a blanket?  No, not the enemy,
stop biting me through the blanket.  It doesn't surprise me one bit to
have found one of your baby teeth stuck in it.  If you had a baby book
I'd have taped it down for your future perusal.  But, as I have tried to
make clear to you, you are a kitten and therefor will not likely peruse
anything in the future but the insides of your eyelids.  That is if, and
only if, you ever start acting like a normal cat.

Let me make this clear.  I love you.  I will always love you
unconditionally but it is my job to try and raise you with your best
interests in mind.  I hope you'll know I nag with love in my heart.  You
are without a doubt the cutest fellar ever, not to mention the softest
and sweetest.  I love how you cry to see me and snuggle me or just lay
next to me with your arm resting on mine.  I know you have a heart of
gold to match your will of steel.  You'll do well, you just need a
little instruction.

Love,
Mommy