TheBanyanTree: The Gales of November

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Nov 13 05:51:28 PST 2005

We knew it had end sometime, this wonderful autumn that didn’t seem to have
an end.  And it finally did last night.  Cold air racing in from the north
met up with warm humid air pushing in from the south and they did a clumsy
dance with fire bolts and claps of thunder.  Iowa got the worst of it with
tornadoes causing football stadiums to be evacuated and northern Minnesota
is getting a snowstorm.  Meanwhile, we’re in the middle with some wind and
rain and falling temperatures.

I managed to get in a run along the river before all the action started.
The air was warm enough for me to wear shorts and no jacket.  The sun would
peep out from behind the clouds from time to time and I was able to work up
a good sweat.

I think they’re getting the barges ready for one last run down the river.  I
saw several of them being filled with stuff, I couldn’t tell what it was.
There were tugboats maneuvering barges out from their resting places.  A
couple freight trains went by and the corporate jets were flying in and out
of the St. Paul airport.

There weren’t as many people out by the river as I thought there would be.
But there were a few bikers, roller bladders, walkers, and runners enjoying
perhaps the last decent weather until spring.

Then I came home and parked my butt on the couch and read and napped and ate
chocolate and watched football.  I rarely do that and it was so nice to do
really nothing.  I did manage to get up and fold laundry.  I did manage to
put out the Thanksgiving decorations.  I did manage to go to Target before
dinner and buy needed necessities.

I read some more after dinner when the rain and lightning came through.  I
almost made it to the news, but the lure of snuggling under our flannel
sheets proved too much and I staggered to our bedroom and fell into a good
sleep.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org

Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true
measure of our thanksgiving.
~W.T. Purkiser