TheBanyanTree: The road goes on forever

paul paul at remsset.com
Thu Nov 10 10:41:21 PST 2005

Stuff accumulates when you don't move house every couple of years.
Pictures, junk in the closets, music, e-mail, dust under the sofa...
I have managed to go all of 9 years now without a failure causing
total data loss and I've lived in this house almost 13 years.  On the
PC and in this four bedroom house, I have too much stuff to remember
where everything is.  It is getting crowded.  Then there is the feed
shed, the EDC, the little tin shed, and the barn.  :)

After a visit to my folk's a couple of months ago and seeing how full
their house is of stuff, great piles and tall stacks of dusty stuff,
full bookcases in front of full bookcases, I've decided to clean
house.  Not just take a few boxes of books to the library's thrift
shop, more, much more.

Meanwhile, as I make room, how about some packrat treasure?

------

On the 'puter, while checking out a folder of links sometimes a link
doesn't work.  For example:  http://www.io.com/~stargazr/  yields a
page saying:

"Not Found
The requested URL /~stargazr/ was not found on this server."

Bummer, dude, a 404.  Big bummer.  As icing on the cupcake, it looks
like io.com isn't io.com anymore.

So I asked a certain fleabag "whassup".  She replied "Yup..
unfortunately, the person (anon) who was paying the bill for the
io.com account has stopped paying the account and all efforts to
contact said person by ISP have failed.

I know this because I run a list on that server, or I did, wot was
deeded by YB in perpetuity and it folded the other week as well.
Queries to the billing dept of io.com were met wid total silence. I
only know what happened because I contacted a tame tech on there that
I know and he told me."

Ok.  Here's my story:

As far as I knew, I saved the entire site in February of 1999 by
following links.  Page by page, image by image, with a USR 14.4 modem
or perhaps with that Supra 28.8 POS modem.  About 2½ MB, just a couple
of floppies.  Why I saved the site, well, you just had to be there and
in my head.  Looking back now, I find I missed a few files.  But I did
save 128 pages.  It really, really, seemed like something that needed
doing one cold winter day.

I remember the funny look YB gave me when I was down there in Spring
of '99, we're both petting cats and sipping a cold one, when I
mentioned that I had downloaded her entire site to save it.  She said
"that was real sweet darlin' but don't worry, it's all taken care of
forever".

Yeah, I suppose it was an odd thing to do.  And a weird thing to tell
someone.  But.

So it was "taken care of forever".  But perhaps time ran out in that
dimension.

To compound my oddness, YB's site, is now at

 http://remsset.com/~stargazr/

Update your links.

I found a few files via waybackmachine.org.  Woofess found copies of
the rest.  Some external links do not work.  I'll fix what I can when
I can, but otherwise, it all appears /exactly/ like YB made it,
just...  on a different domain.

Pop a Shiner Bock, the official beer of Rock and Roll Heaven, and
enjoy.

And the party never ends.

paul
   http://remsset.com