TheBanyanTree: 10 November 1775

Pam North pam.north at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 07:51:39 PST 2005

I don't know if it's possible to explain who we are, what we do, why we do
it. It's something ingrained deep inside, and it's something that 'pride'
just doesn't begin to explain...
 10 November 1775.
 230 years ago...
 Just like it was yesterday.
 When I joined the Marine Corps, my father, a veteran of two conflicts with
24 years served in the Army, *swore* that they called us 'Jarheads' because
when they shipped us off to Parris Island, they unscrewed our heads, poured
in lies and propaganda, and screwed our heads back on!!
 Because we believe that WE are the reason the United States is still a
'free' country. WE won ALL the wars; WE made all the heroes!! Unlike the
other services, (I believe) that we are a service steeped more deeply in
tradition. New recruits spend almost as many hours learning Marine Corps
history as they do how to shoot a rifle.
 And every November 10th, we take a moment to pause and reflect, a moment to
reaffirm ourselves to the traditions that make us who we are. We have
pageants and cakes and speakers. And Balls! Ladies get decked out in their
finest, Marines pull out the Dress Blues, dust 'em off, and prepare to wear
them, standing just a little taller, just a little straighter, than the
other 364 days of the year when they're just doing their 'job'. We put aside
the bitches and moans of our way of life, and once again, we pledge
ourselves to God, Corps and Country.
 We call up the band and bring them down, shine up the swords, practice the
ceremony. We listen to the words of General John A. Lejeune, our 13th
Commandant, the very same words written generations earlier, and read each
year, *every* year, whatever the location, to Marines all over the globe. We
stand for Colors, and feel tremendous pride when the band plays our
'National Anthem'. And then, when we think we're standing just as tall and
proudly as we possibly could, the band finishes with the 'Marines' Hymn'!
There are goosebumps, and there are tears.
 Once a Marine, Always a Marine. It just doesn't get any better than knowing
you're one of them...
 Semper Fi
 Pam