TheBanyanTree: Names

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Thu Nov 3 07:46:31 PST 2005

I don't have any particular names matched to a profession, or anything
as clever, but I work for a senior citizen's educational organization in
which membership is required.  When you spoke of names for writing
stories I thought I'd share a few names that have come across my desk.
I can't use them per se but I sure could spin a fairytale or two from
these.

John and Mary Philpot (were a round little couple.  John had not a hair
on his head and Mary's was down to her toes.  They lived in a little
round house in a very square yard on Candy Circle.  They had a
short-legged dog with a long round body and he'd bite you if you didn't
give him a cookie first.)

Pandy Goodbody and Marsha Powdermaker (lived in England a long time
ago.  Mrs. Goodbody made wigs for the queen and Mrs. Powdermaker
perfumed the talc as well as filled the bullets for her husband's
muskets.)

Hermine MacFadyen (The prettiest of all the Irish girls, blessed with
the reddest hair you've ever seen and freckles in all the right places.
At twelve she could dance a step or two and the young boys of the
village loved her more than the marbles they played and the bicycles
they rode.)

Emily and Larry Greenapple (owned the finest orchards in the village.
Apples of all varieties grew in brilliant reds, yellows and greens.
Everyday, as the children walked past the cottage, the smell of baked
apple fineries wafted out and tickled their noses.  Apple pie and apple
raisin cookies, apple torts and apple custards abounded.)

Minnie Handwerker (was tiny as a mouse.  She wrinkled her nose as she
spoke and worked hard in her garden each spring and through the summer.
Harvest time was her favorite time of all.  But winter winds brought her
inside where she would sit and spin and knit until the snows melted and
the sun brought spring once again into her garden.)

Marguerite Bullwinkle (was one sandwich short of a picnic.  She knew
what people said behind her back but she didn't care.  She went about
her business, caring for the animals of the wood.  The squirrels were
her favorite.  She brought them nuts and pieces of chocolate chip
cookies which they claimed from her fingers as soon as she sat beneath
the large elm tree that was their home.)

Jerry Jewell (was as gaudy as the large diamond tie clasp he wore on
his pink silk tie.  Only Jerry had the hutspah to wear such a large
piece of jewelry at the end of his tie, right at the top of his large
potbelly.  His black pin-striped, double-breasted suit with gold buttons
finished the picture of the garish man that he was.)

and last but not least....

Dick Whitehead (who boasted a whitened head in more than one place on
his body.)