TheBanyanTree: T'is The Season

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Mar 7 11:07:15 PST 2005

T'is the SEASON.

Here, it means the snowbirds are back.  Local thoroughfares become parking
lots; newcomers drive 10 mph, looking for their streets, making left turns out
of the right lanes, driving with the turn signals blinking, or stopping to back
up if they miss their turn and MUST go there. The freeway is a demolition
derby, with everyone else slowing way-y-y-y down to better view the wrecks along
the way. The rescue vehicles have to drive in the median or shoulder to get
through. A high speed chase is real news, not for the crime committed but the
thought of anyone (cops OR robbers) being able to drive fast enough for it to be
called "high speed."

The worst are the roads to any beach. The beach parking is jammed full by 10
A.M., and signs go out to that effect. Still, there are thousands of people
thinking they can still find that one last parking spot, and so line up for
miles, waiting, clogging, going nowhere near the beach. Anyone else driving those
roads is lucky to get out by midnight.

"I don't want to go into town today."

"I know what you mean, but there's no food in the house.  We haven't shopped
since last Wednesday."

"We still have peanut butter."

"The bread has gone mouldy."

"Pick of the bad stuff."

Silence, but I can hear the clicking of her mind.

"You'll have to go into town," she said. "You said you had to stop at the
bank, anyway."

So, I venture out. The county road isn't bad. One hay wagon, one big semi
loaded with oranges.  The state highway has more truck traffic, and construction
vehicles coming and going from a new development.  There goes the
neighborhood; more houses all alike but for color, on postage stamp lots. Near the
freeway, it's stopped. No one moves.  Someone is out in orange traffic vest and
flags, but all his waving is for naught.  The oncoming lanes are creeping by, but
my lane is parked.

"What are you doing?" I ask her, calling from my cell phone.

"I thought I'd plant the azaleas. I just finished watering the new tangerine
tree.  You should see all the blossoms, and the smell . . . "  Sounds of bliss.

"What did you want?" she asked.

"I'm stuck in the traffic."

"Oh. Well. Bring home some fresh cilantro," she said. "I think I'll do
Spanish tonight for dinner."

I should be so lucky to get home by dinner.

"Don't fume so," she said.

"I wasn't fuming. I didn't say a word."

She laughed. "I know you' re fuming. Drive carefully."

T'is the season. Some folks have blizzards, we have traffic. I think I'll pop
open my laptop and write something to Banyan.

NancyLee