TheBanyanTree: Mare-watching

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Mar 7 09:49:08 PST 2005

March 7 05

We are still waiting for the birth of our foals.  Little Gold Digger, all of
30 inches tall, has been giving off impending signals for a month.  The woman
we got her from said she might have her foal as early as October, but, here we
are , still waiting.  And Sabrina, 29 inches high and a barrel around is due
any minute, now.

It's hard to pinpoint a more exact due date with "pasture bred" mares.  The
owners send the mares out into pasture with the stallion for a three month
time. Unless one is watching every moment of every day, there is no way to
determine just when they . .ahem . honeymooned.

At any rate, I go out several times a day to check on them, and get up at all
hours of the night to rove out with my trusty flashlight to do the same.  I
have taken to drinking a couple of glasses of water before turning in, so .
."nature" wakes me during the night and I don't have to set an alarm and wake the
household.

It's so calm and quiet at three a.m. I hang over the fence and watch the
mares sleeping. Sometimes they wake and think it's breakfast time, and I have to
give them a treat.  Then we just stand about, listening to the tropical night,
the owls, the breathing of horses, the dreaming grunts of the pigs, the tinkle
of the goat's bell as he peeks out to see what the ruckus is about. Michael
and Lucy, our cats, are often on patrol, the cops of the barn. No thieving
little rodent escapes their notice. The cats prowl silent.  I only sense them by
the tiny hairs on the back of my neck, or a shadow sliding over the hay stack.
Sometimes, the stillness is broken by one tiny "squik" and nothing more to
announce the cats' presence. The night air whispering through the pines makes
more sound.

 If night turns to day as I daydream out there, I might be lucky enough to
seek the morning's first soaring of the Bald Eagles nesting atg the corner of
the property, where a clump of pines and Spanish moss create a dense haven. The
Eagles' nest is a massive cluster of twigs and leaves, built, so I guess, over
the years of their togetherness. They seem a well-established couple,
reigning over our pasture and the neighbors', a silent patrol.  Until they are on the
hunt. Then. all small critters crouch and quiver as the eagles scream, "I see
dinner, and I'm going to get it."  Or something like that.

Anyway, mare watching at night is a dreamy time. Some of my latest stories
come from those quiet, easy nights.

NancyLee