TheBanyanTree: Jane's Project

Theta theta at garlic.com
Tue Jun 14 09:07:51 PDT 2005

Maria told us about her wonderful shopping trip with Jane and concluded
"She's a treasure and has been a good friend to Allen."  It's a great thing
when these connections are made.   I was reminded of an episode that
Maggie, Darling Daughter the Elder, had in her high school career.   She
was at a guy friend's house (that's as opposed to 'boyfriend' - she had
multiple guy friends, most of whom ate dinner with us several times a week)
and the young man came out of his bedroom whining to his mother that he had
no clean laundry.

Maggie reacted with shock and horror.  "What?  You still do his
laundry?  That's terrible!  He's going to get married to some poor girl and
expect her to do his laundry the rest of his life!"  She grabbed his arm
and marched him to the laundry room, firmly announcing that he was going to
learn how to do his own wash.  She made him write down the instructions for
the machine and watched him go through all the steps.  Then she instructed
the boy's mother that she was never to do his wash again, and if he wanted
things ironed, she had to teach him how to do to that, too, "one time!"

I heard the story from the boy's mom, who called me laughing about it.  She
said her husband had observed all this with awe and some trepidation.  He
said he was glad he wasn't a teenage boy who had to learn how to do his own
laundry, and Maggie had patted him on the arm and in syrupy tones told him
that it was never too late to learn a new skill.  The mom said that Maggie
was her hero, and even years later, every time I see her, she laughs about
the laundry lesson.

Yeah, I like teenagers, too.

Theta