TheBanyanTree: Rainy Days and Mondays

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Tue Jun 14 08:37:54 PDT 2005

It's the REAL rainy season here, now. Not just a day's sprinkle, but the
routine of humid mornings with a dull sun, giving way to lunchtime clouds, and
late afternoon thunderstorms. That's every day. The yard is sodden, and the ducks
have countless new ponds to splash in.

I do my outside work in the mornings, starting somewhere close after 5 a.m.
when Jenny, the first dog, announces the coming morn.  "I have to go I have to
go I have to go," shel yodels into the waning moon's fog.  I grumble and cover
my head with the pillow, but she will not be dissuaded. Smart dog. She knows
if she can get me up, I'll let her out and feed her. I hide in my bed long
enough for her to wake the other dogs, and there's nothing like the shrill
chatter of a pair of Chihuahuas to get me up. Katie seldoms barks. Katie the
Havanese simple shreds her paper as loud as she can.

I am up. It's twenty after five. The dogs go out to romp and potty and race
back for their breakfast. The two cats slide out of the bushes to eat, also. I
stand under the porch overhang since there's a dampness in the air this
morning. Jenny grabs one of my shoes, left outside because of the mud, and races out
into the wet grass to "kill" it. She shakes and tosses it, ignoring my shouts
of disapproval.  I rattle the "cookie" tin and she races back, leaving my
shoe in a puddle in the driveway.It's part of the morning routine, playing steal
the shoe and watching in glee as I hop out to fetch it.

The sun  may not shine this morning, but hide snuggled deep in the banks of
clouds, making me think of my own warm bed and covers. The fog becomes a slight
mist, becomes a fine rain.  I call the dogs back, and put them back in their
beds, where they yawn and go back to sleep. Katie puts the finishing touches
on her nest of shredded papers.

Night still drags at me, but I'm up now. I'll put on the coffee and read the
paper, if the delivery guy hasn't tossed it into a puddle. I hear "Roosty"
crowing, and a feebler sound, one of the young roosters trying out his voice.
The ducks are discordant and rowdy this morning as they scramble through the
puddles after the newly hatched tadpoles.The coffee smells good, and there's a
handful of cherries left in the refrigerator. A good enough breakfast before I
go out to the barn for morning chores.

It's the sort of morning for melancholy, of pausing in work to contemplate
the feel of cool rain on my skin. I fill water pails from the trough, because
there's something wrong with the well pump and no water comes through the hoses.
I don't get angry, merely sigh and endure the wet jeans, soggy socks, one
Jenny-killed sopping shoe, and the heavy task of hauling pails of water for the
horses. Water trickles into my jacket, and there's a big puddle to navigate
just outside the barn door.  No water from the well for the animals, but probably
another four inches to come down as rain this day.

I have much to do today. I'll not see many folks, except for the man to fix
the well pump, if he comes. There are people I miss. There are people I love
who are too far away. I dig a trench to drain the water from in front of the
barn door, feel the chill of the rain, and think of those people.

NancyLee