TheBanyanTree: Jane's Project

Maria Gibson mgibson7 at nc.rr.com
Tue Jun 14 05:42:40 PDT 2005

I don't think I've made any secret about the fact that I prefer older
kids and teens to young ones.  For me it is the same as the difference
between a slow carousel and a wild roller coaster.  The horsies moving
up and down whilst going round and round, ok, it's got its fun aspect
but the coaster....man.  You're strapped in and have a strong bar in
front of ya but when you get going you find it is hard to hang on.  The
wind whips your breath from you and the twists and turns make you grip
the bar for dear life, doubting the strength of the safety measures and
doubting your sanity at having signed up as a volunteer for this brand
of fun.  There isn't much else that you can concentrate on while riding
and the uphills seem to go up and up and up and up and you can't see
over the other side until.......whoosh!, you are thrown down the hill at
top speed and the next thing you know the whole of the train of cars is
spit out into the station and the only thing to remind you of what a
scary and hilarious ride it was is the picture of you coming down at top
speed; eyes squeezed shut, eternal scream frozen on your face, your
mouth as wide as it will go.  You can remember that your heart was
racing a million miles an hour and you have fantastic stories to tell of
almost flying right out of the car but, still, you remember it fondly.

Yeah...that's how raising teens has been for me and I wouldn't change it
for anything.

Allen and I haven't been clothes shopping in nearly two years.  He
always gets stuff way too big and so most of his clothes have just kept
right on fitting him even as he grew taller.  He also has lost some
weight so, all in all, he just hasn't had an immediate need for new
clothes and I haven't had an immediate need for that brand of torture.
Someone always ends up crying and even Allen can be bummed out by the
whole thing.  But, alas, the time came that we just had to brave the
storm and get some new duds for the dude.  Just as an aside I asked
Allen to invite his great pal Jane along for the ride.  In the back of
my mind I thought it would be great to get another girl's opinion and
maybe she could be a bit of a buffer for me.  Little did I know what a
gem this gal was gonna be.

We arrived at the mall, parked way in the back and made our way in.
Now, let me say, we usually shop at Wal-Mart for clothes.  The last time
I took Allen to the mall for stuff, he was in one store for about ten
minutes and then declared that he did not fit in, did not belong in that
kind of store.  I knew what he was feeling as I have felt like an
impostor in stores of finer things and smaller sizes, too, and, well, I
just really understood what he wasn't saying.  But, to the mall we go
again, only this time we have a friend in tow, one who may know the
paths and foothills of this mountain, one who may be our scout and
guide.  Jane became our Mall Sherpa.

It was a bit of a bumpy start.  We roamed around looking for a store to
throw money into but it was really awkward.  We stopped and looked at
the directory but couldn't find the group listed as "Stores Allen Should
Shop In" which made the task ever harder.  Finally, finally, Jane leads
us into American Eagle Outfitters.  Within five minuets, the mood
changed and all for the better.  After discussing some ways that young
guys dress and things they put together and looks that might go well
with Allen's personality, Jane let Allen know that he was in good hands,
that she and I would do all the work and give him stuff to try on.  All
he had to do was dutifully go in to the dressing room and come out for
us to see how he looked.  Relief poured from Allen and I as the secret
weapon took charge.  We looked for a pair of jeans, Jane and I.  We came
up with size 33 and sent the still a bit reluctant Allen in.

oh. my. gosh.

He came out and looked like a new man.  His waist looked so trim, his
patooshie looked so cute, he looked awesome and, Katie bar the door, we
were off on a serious mission from that point on, a mission not to be
disturbed or distracted for the next about two hours.  Yes, two hours.
A flurry of jeans, it must have been ten pair that he tried on, went in
and out of that dressing room.  I would never have been able to get him
to try on a third pair let alone that many but Jane...Jane had him
eating out of her hand.  Their relationship is truly enviable.  They are
easy with one another, honest with one another and tenderly cautious
with one another at just the right moments.  Next came the shirts.  Jane
chose shirts with finesse, things I doubted Allen would like but not
only did he love them he looked awesome in them.  She had me eating out
of the palm of her hand, I'd have been a fool not to recognize that this
was by far the best outcome I would never have dreamed of.

It was amazing for me to see his reaction to his transformation, what
just a change in clothes can do.  Allen commented that he couldn't
believe he is a size 33-34 as the last time he shopped, he remembers a
size 38 being too small and that he had always worn a lot bigger size
than other kids his age.  I so knew his frustration at that point as I
have been through it myself and it was almost painful to recognize his
surprise, awe and trepidation at a smaller size.  He has been so active
lately; has joined karate and stayed in band for the winter.  He has
changed his eating habits somewhat, nothing crazy, but then I always
encourage him that crazy isn't needed, consistent is.  It has worked and
the payoff has been tremendous.  Even Jane kept saying "Allen, my gosh,
whoa, you have biceps and stuff and your butt..."  He was grinning ear
to ear.  He was funny and compliant and took to this makeover like it
was second nature.  He was a joy to shop with and Jane was a joy to have
along.  I tried to mostly stay quiet and chime in with compliments and
find a thing or two.  It was funny, the looks on their faces, when I
held up something dorky for inspection.  A couple of times Allen said
wait, let's ask Jane when I showed him something and she was away
looking at yet more stuff.  It was totally ok with me, it was totally
right.  I loved their honesty and their passion and their openness.

We went to Applebee's for dinner at 10:00pm, had a great time and then
landed in a tired but happy heap at home after dropping Jane off.  Allen
has new clothes and I have a memory I'll always treasure.  It was
wonderful.  It was truly wonderful.
I don't think I've ever had more fun shopping with anyone at any time in
my life than a few nights ago with Allen and Jane.  He came away with
the beginnings of a new wardrobe and, I think, a new feeling about
himself.  It wasn't easy but I was also allowed the pleasure of getting
a cutie girl dress for Jane as my 'thank you' for all her hard work and
cheerful nature.  I always liked this gal, she's smart and funny and
beautiful.  She's a treasure and has been a good friend to Allen.  What
mom isn't thrilled beyond measure for this kind of person to be in her
kid's life?  I don't think I could ask for more or better.

Maria