TheBanyanTree: Redbuds & Japanese Magnolias

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 21 19:31:44 PST 2005

Eastern Redbuds & Japanese Magnolias  graced the highways today on my
journey from home to Prattville, AL.  Prattville, a "suburb" of
Montgomery where I had work to do, lies just north of the Alabama River
on the northside of Alabama's capital city,  and just west of I-65.
The Alabama was a beautiful light blue, swift and wide, cutting a
graceful curve in the valley between Montgomery and Prattville.

All along the way to Prattville Eastern Redbuds (Cercis canadensis) and
the occasional Eastern Whitebud (Cercis canadensis alba) were in bloom,
some of the earliest trees in this area to bloom in spring.  They
popped out from the dead, drab, dreary foliage background that is late
winter in our wooded areas, heralding a soon coming spring.

Robins were everywhere.

Japanese Magnolias,  so full of purple-streaked, ivory flowers that
they looked as though their limbs would break under the load,  bursting
forth in corner lots and people's yards.  Temperatures were in the
mid-70s and the climate control system's air conditioner in the car
turned on on the way back in the late afternoon.

We worked in rooms not needing heating or air conditioning running to
keep us comfortable.  The sun's rays didn't have to fight an uphill
battle against winds bearing polar components.  Sunshine permeated all,
warmed all, brightened all.

Spring is so close for us that I touched it today, or better yet, it
touched me.  Spring's promise, comfort and joy came flooding forth in
Prattville and I bid it a hearty, "Welcome back, Old Friend.  I'd
almost forgotten you were on your way."

And when motoring up I-85 another certainty of spring appeared in the
northern sky.  In the approaching dusk, in the expanse above the
horizon shot flashes of yellow-red.  I thought I was mistaken at first,
thinking I may have seen a mirage.  But it repeated again and once
again.  And with the approach of darkness it was amply confirmed.
Lightning, in streaks then of white-hot arcs, shooting from thunderhead
to thunderhead in the sky above Atlanta in the distance.

And I will remember that Spring showed itself first to me this year in
Prattville,  plowed ahead of me up the road and then finally led me
straight and true all the way home

    bd
      -----