TheBanyanTree: Boxing Day - USA Style

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Mon Dec 26 06:03:27 PST 2005

Hey, the USA gets a Boxing Day this year!  Well, the 26th is just a federal,
state, and local holiday this year because Christmas was on Sunday, but it’s
so great to have the day after Christmas off to recover from Christmas!

I don’t know why I’m so tired this year.  I got plenty of sleep the last
couple of days and neither Christmas Eve nor Christmas were out of the
ordinary for me.  But here I am, plain wasted.

Ray and I got up yesterday at our usual times.  Ray made breakfast.  Then we
worked on stuffing rigatoni noodles with cheddar cheese for dinner.  We
listened to Christmas music.  We met the family at the The Depot in
Minneapolis for an afternoon of ice skating.

The boys only skate once a year, so they don’t know how to ice skate.  The
rink has chair kinds of things for little kids, so Susan rounded up a couple
for the boys.  The older one was getting the hang of it by the time we were
leaving and the little one didn’t care.  He just enjoyed being out on that
ice, even if he was slipping and sliding around.

Then we came back to our house to eat that rigatoni, salad, bread, and other
goodies.  The boys got their stockings from Santa.  The older one was
thrilled with the markers, the ruler, and the scissors.  The little one
liked a stuffed snowman that had long arms and legs.

They left around 6:30 pm.  Ray and I retired to the couch to watch football,
and before I knew it, I was fast asleep.  I woke up around 9 pm and dragged
myself into the bedroom and resumed my long winter’s nap.  I didn’t get up
until 6:30 am, thankful I don’t have to go to work, and this “Boxing Day” is
mine to do what I please.

The fist thing I’m going to do is get some exercise.  My eating surged out
of control and I need to work some of that off.  I’m sure the club will be
packed this morning, but that’s OK.  I’ll find a vacant treadmill and work
off some calories.

The US government and especially US corporations hate to add additional
holidays to the calendar, but I sure think Boxing Day is a great idea.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org

Next to a circus there ain't nothing that packs up and tears out faster than
the Christmas spirit.
~Kin Hubbard