TheBanyanTree: Christmas Eve hiking

Sachet sachet at alltel.net
Sun Dec 25 19:54:42 PST 2005

http://www.snapfish.com/share/p=807241135478350732/l=72609930/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

I decided that the best Christmas Eve gift I could have would be to go
hiking at Pilot Mountain State Park. To the native Saura Indians, the
earliest known inhabitants of the region, Pilot Mountain was known as
Jomeokee, the "Great Guide" or "Pilot." It guided both Native Americans
and early European hunters along a north-south path through the area.
It's part of the Sauratown Mountains, which also includes Hanging Rock
State Park to the east.

We packed some snacks and drinks and got there a little before 3pm with
the temps at home in the high 40's. Which is why we were surprised to
run into patches of ice on the road up the mountain, since it's only 10
minutes away. Fortunately, we had dressed in layers upon layers and were
ready for cooler temps. We wanted to hike around the big pinnacle just
because it's so beautiful, but the *Jomeokee Trail* is not a very
strenuous trail, so after traversing it we decided to take a harder
trail that led down below the cliffs and climb up when we were ready to
hike along the ridge. It feels good to know the trails and cliffs well
enough to not have to stick to the trail until it loops around or joins
another trail. We've discovered a few access points that don't need
ropes and allow us to climb over boulders and up the cliffs to the top.
That proved to be a good decision because the path to the pinnacle is on
the east side of the mountain and it was covered with ice for several
feet. It was slick enough coming down, we sure didn't want to try it
going up.

The sky was a gorgeous deep blue above the big pinnacle which highlights
the beauty of the quartzite cliffs and we saw several of the protected
raptors gliding on thermals. When I saw contrails I thought of Bobby and
snapped a few shots for him. :-)  For some reason ladybugs are always at
the big pinnacle and it was interesting to capture a picture of deep
green moss, sparkling ice and a red ladybug.

We hiked a while longer below the cliffs, but the sun was beginning to
set and I wanted to be sure to be up top to catch it. Plus, a strong
wind had blown in and it was getting considerably colder on the west
side of the mountain.

It's interesting to see the differences between seasons from the
perspective of being on Pilot Mountain. As we approached all we could
see were the deciduous trees and their brown branches. Once we got to
the top on the west side there were plenty of pine trees with their
ever-present green needles.

Once we reached the top we hiked along the cliffs for a bit, waiting for
the sun to set, which was even more beautiful than I had anticipated and
stayed until it dropped from the sky and my memory card was full. <g> I
never tire of taking pictures there as the seasons change.

....Sachet