TheBanyanTree: Merry Christmas!

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Dec 25 06:11:54 PST 2005

Christmas--that magic blanket that wraps itself about us, that something so
intangible that it is like a fragrance. It may weave a spell of nostalgia.
Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but always it will be a
day of remembrance--a day in which we think of everything we have ever
loved."  ~ Augusta E. Rundell
+++++++++++++++

Our Christmas centerpiece on the dining room table is a ring of candles,
similar to an advent wreath, four red candles on the outside and the middle
candle is white.  On either side of these candles, I placed one red taper,
so there are seven candles in all.

Our older grandson asked what all those candles meant.  He wondered if it
was a menorah or were they candles for Kwanzaa or for were they for
Christmas.  His statement struck a something inside of me, because he is
growing up aware of lots of different ways to celebrate this time of year,
not just the Christian one.  I didn’t even know anything about the Jewish
religion until I was in sixth grade.  His world is so much larger than mine
was at the same age.  And hopefully, he’ll be more tolerant and
understanding of cultural differences as he grows older.

Christmas morning . . . delicate snowflakes are cascading from the sky.  The
squirrels are raiding the birdfeeders.  The stockings hung by the chimney
with care are fat with small gifts from Santa.  I’ll prepare our Christmas
Day feast this morning in order to be ready for dinner this evening and then
we’ll head off to the Depot in Minneapolis for an afternoon of ice skating.

Merry Christmas.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.bpwmn.org

Next to a circus there ain't nothing that packs up and tears out faster than
the Christmas spirit.
~Kin Hubbard