TheBanyanTree: Glass Half Full

Mark Funk MARK at arboretum.umn.edu
Wed Sep 29 09:25:52 PDT 2004

I enjoyed both Tom's and Julie's stories about the "glass half full."  I too hope to maintain a positive outlook on life, as I grow older.  Yet, as I approach 60, I find my trips to the doctor and my various aches, pains, and medical problems more and more frequent.  I find that when I get together with someone I haven't seen for a while, the main topic of discussion seems to be our various medical adventures or miss-adventures.

On one hand perhaps it is good to "rage at the dying of the light," but on the other hand we shouldn't make life miserable for everyone else with that "rage."  I'm reminded of the line delivered by the butler in one of the Batman movies: "A gentleman does NOT discuss his health."  His suggestion is that we should suffer in silence.  Personally, I think not.

None of us can turn back the clock and it is doubtful there is much we can do to change another person's outlook.  Still it is commendable that both Tom and Julie were willing to spend time with their aging loved ones.  That alone may be enough for them to view their situation in a better light.

Mark