TheBanyanTree: Herds and other interesting behavior

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Sep 17 15:29:59 PDT 2004

Now that I have horses again, I become reaccquainted with the "herd"
mentality. I watch them drift over the pasture, seemingly to graze alone, yet always
together. If there is one to be kept in its stall while the others are turned
loose into the pasture, the one alone will whinny, then go about it's own
business, taking a break every now and then to whinny again, to be answered by one
or more out in the grass.

I am reminded of my own behavior. I am comfortable being alone. I have
projects that are one-person endeavors, and I go about them in comfort. Yet, every
now and then I take a break to "whinny": a call to a friend, checking up on one
of the kids, a call to a repair person to make an appointment, to go out for
the mail and wave at a neighbor.

Whether in a relationship or not, there seems that need to make contact, even
among those who profess hating crowds and parties, waiting for traffic lights
or in line for a movie or a table at a restaurant. They shudder and say
they'd rather be at home, alone.  Yet, do they "whinny"?  Do they substitute
television for real-life company, gaining some feeling of connection through the
tube that doesn't care? Do they make calls to other people for "information" on
the pretext of need but more for the connection?  Do intense people alone write
and make up their own worlds and thus live there with the invented characters?

Even uncommunicative men find others of like mind and they go fishing
together, or play golf, perhaps not saying ten words during the outing, but making
that contact, nonetheless.  Like horses grazing, apart yet together.

There is a very elderly woman living near me, a century of age, whose only
real connection to the world is her daily housekeeper and the occasional
hairdresser or doctor. She hates living alone. Her husband is long gone, her children
are retired themselves and far away. All her lifelong friends are dead, and
she doesn't like her neighbors. Yet, she connects several times a day when she
goes out to scold the children, call about the barking dog, fuss if their
company parks on a blade of grass on her lawn. I go to visit her now and then, and
she talks about the war.  Not Iraq, nor Desert Storm nor Viet Nam. Her
history goes back to WWII; her husband was a general. Her connection is the past,
and anyone visiting her helps her relive a time when she was part of a herd.

Today I am alone.  I went out to see the horses and watched their loose
formation as they roamed through the grass. They drifted to the pond where, in
turn, they each drank. Then wandered away again. Never totally together, yet never
really apart. A herd.

I enjoy my time alone, but now, you see, I came in to write it down for you.

NancyLee