TheBanyanTree: My ebay problem

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Thu May 20 15:31:51 PDT 2004

I have a problem writing simple descriptions. Could I just write the facts?
No way. In an attempt to write a description for the first in a series of
ebay sales, this is what I came up with: (It's not short, and not pretty. It
just IS.)

This is a cup with feet. Why a cup has feet, I don't know, but it seems to
be rather popular among collectors of Carlton Ware. I sense a sort of secret
society here, a cabal of feet worshippers, an eclectic assortment of
collectors eager to have cups and things that appear ready to walk off at a
moment's notice . . .

This cup is in pristine condition. The bottom right foot says Carlton Ware,
England, and the bottom left foot says absolutely nothing at all. The shoes
are brown, though, if one is a foot cup collector, does one really care
about the color of the shoes?

This cup, and its companion cups, have lived in my smoke-free but dog
friendly home for the past six months or so, patiently, on a shelf, awaiting
the news of a good home. Not that this isn't a good home, don't get me
wrong, it's just not the right home for this particular cup.

We seem to have a difference of opinion, me and this cup, and it's best if
we part ways now, rather than later, after one ends up smashed to pieces.
Not that I'm typically a violent person, but the cup has feet, and I can't
stand a cup that has feet. Always looks like it's getting ready to run off
somewhere.

This cup deserves a good home. Perhaps where it can mingle with other
Carlton Ware pieces, hopefully with feet.

How the cup came to live with me: Long story. Short form: someone gave me a
small collection of this stuff with feet, I think because one piece is
chipped and it saved him the problem of having to resell it to someone else
as chipped and getting me a Christmas present at the same time, though up
until said cup and its compatriots showed up at my door I was under the
impression my present was going to be something else altogether, but this
was typical of this particular gift-giver, who had the decision making
skills of a ferret. Probably still does, I don't know. I asked him not to
contact me again, and especially since I am now very happily in a functional
functioning relationship with a great guy who is totally sane, with an even
temperament, not prone to suicidal ideation or violent mood swings. I feel
like I've been released from a maximum security prison.

This particular piece is NOT chipped.

Anyway. The cup. Needs a good home. Good cup. Never used since I've owned
it. (People don't really use these, do they?) It patiently awaits your bid.
Not very patiently, really though, which is one of the problems I have with
it. It's not patient enough. I insist my collectibles be patient, and this
one just won't fall into line. None of them do, the walking pieces. Must be
something installed by Carlton Ware that makes them so restless. I don't
know.

I fear I am hopeless.

Monique