TheBanyanTree: The Summer that Isn't

Monique monique.ybs at verizon.net
Sat Jun 26 08:46:55 PDT 2004

Here in Seattle we've had summer. Are still having summer, from what I can
tell, though temps did cool down for a couple of days. Record heat wave for
us -- which isn't saying a terrible lot, but it was up to the 90's I believe
there for a couple of days. Days upon days of warm sunny hot weather that we
don't know how to deal with because we're not used to it. I haven't bothered
to get the air conditioning in my car recharged because it's not high on my
list of priorities. But it would be helpful. Andrew's car doesn't have air
conditioning at all, it being from Alaska where apparently air conditioning
is not an issue. His commute to work is long. My apartment doesn't have air
conditioning, so at night we have a fan on, when it's really hot. The dog
spends her days and nights at Stew's because it's cooler there, in her
summer home -- he has a basement apartment. Much better for him, there's no
way he could take the heat. Good for the dog too, who has much too much hair
for her own good.

It's sunny out today again. Last week we went to the new Science Fiction
museum (brought to you by none other than Paul Allen of course) and the day
was sunny and warm and perfect for doing whatever we were doing -- which was
not working. Today it's Saturday and I'm working. Weather's still nice -- I
should be at the pool today, but that's no way to run a business, is it?

This being Seattle, this won't last. Just as well -- we're not used to it,
and while we claim to enjoy the warmth and the sun, too much of it makes us
grumpy and irritable, hot and sweaty. We're not heat pioneers here. We want
just enough to make us feel that summer's here, just enough to make us feel
we're getting positive effects from the sun, just enough to dry out and warm
up after the wet winter. Which wasn't, as much as I can remember, all that
wet.

Monique