TheBanyanTree: The Summer that Isn't

Kathleen lyrali at alltel.net
Sat Jun 26 08:17:14 PDT 2004

And in the South, it's rained constantly for the last week.  From drizzles to downpours, from mists to thunderstorms...it's been wet.  Today the rain's let up for a few hours, but the weather people are predicting rain for tomorrow and most of next week.

The rain plays havoc with my Fibromyalgia and Post Polio Syndrome even as it soothes me to sleep at night plunking on the tin roof of the lean-to just outside my window.  The pathway from my log cabin to the gate is under water in places and the gravel is being washed away by the rushing water as it flows down my 500' driveway.  Wet Siberians who ignore the downpour as they tour the fence, who run jog up to greet me and then shower me with red clay tinted water as they rid themselves of the extra wetness.  My Beagles dart out into the rain barking at the Sibes running past their fenced area then scoot back on the porch and sit until the Sibes return.

We have two unhappy horses in the lower pasture where's there is no shelter while the two donkeys - Jack and Daisy - keep dry in the upper pasture under the canopy.  The rest of the horses are in a different pasture and they retreat back into the dense trees to avoid the rain.  The only thing that draws them out is the extra feed we give them each evening.

When it's not raining, the sun hides behind the clouds making the day dreary and when the wind blows, it's down right chilly; in fact there's been only one day when shorts were needed - it got up to 85 that day!

The South may need the rain...but I'm ready for some warmer, drier weather!

Kathleen

The Mountain Wolf Den (www.mountainwolfden.com)
"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.  I think I've forgotten this before."
Proverbs: If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

  It rained so much this past May, we began to use boats to get to work.  But
  we knew after Memorial Day that the rain would stop and it would suddenly
  get hot and stay hot for the few weeks we have for Minnesota's summer.