TheBanyanTree: LIVING IN THE MUSIC

Sharon Mack SMACK at berkshirecc.edu
Mon Jan 26 09:05:38 PST 2004

Written from prompt 1/23/03: Describe your perfect, special place. (from
another workshop)

LIVING IN THE MUSIC

The music takes me so far away, Junot', that I must stop doing all of
the practical things of the day and allow myself the privilege of a
dream.  I set aside the lists and pens and pencils... letting them drop
from my hands, as I lay my head back upon the cushion and close my eyes
shutting out the realities of the day.  My heart becomes one with the
music I have left playing softly behind me and I seem to move inside of
it.  I fly far above anything I have ever known and then I dream a
lovely dream.

I see myself standing in a meadow.  A clear expanse flowing to the
horizon and manicured as only Mother nature can, with its flowing
grasses broken only by the brightness of wildflowers.  In the center
there is but one tree offering a spot of shade.  And the sun...oh, the
sun is warm and the air is clear.  I breath deeply, Junot' and I
remember you, long for you.  I allow the air to enter into my lungs and
swirl through my body and it clears the passages of my mind.  I hear
your voice calling me...calling my name...I turn and look into the sun
and it is you, Junot'.  You are there.  I allow my breath to be
released ever so slowly, afraid of any abrupt moves, of making any
sound, afraid you will disappear.  I watch myself close my eyes for I
know I could not stand it if you were to leave again and when my breath
has at last cleared, I open my eyes slowly and, my darling, you are
still there, your blonde curls gleaming and your bronze skin glistening
with the warmth of our lovely day.  Oh, my Junot', you are just as I
remember you....

The music enters our meadow and swirls around me, coming in waves and
turns and twirls as never before and it is as though it were my very
heartbeat. I see you smile and I know you hear it, too.  It is glorious
and I am wishing it would never end.  You begin to move toward me.

As the music soars, so do I.  All the thoughts in my head become you.
I begin to move, my skirts soft against my legs, my feet bare against
the grass.  You reach me then and take me about the waist and move me
against you.  Your eyes are filled with the agony of our love.  With one
hand you turn me and I melt against your being.  We float then as one,
my back against you.  As the music rises once more you turn me again
towards you, our faces so close I could steal your breath away.  You
kiss me then and I suddenly remember the tenderness of your mouth.  It
always surprises me.  It is because of your strength, Junot', your
muscles so hard beneath the smoothness of your skin. Your skin so brown,
so taut.  I love to touch you Junot'.  My fingers search your face and
touch your mouth.  You kiss me again, softly, gently.

Oh, Junot', that I could live inside this music, this dream and be
with you here always.  For loving you in those days before death took
you so unkindly from me, was like living inside the most beautiful of
symphonies.  How I miss you my darling.  That you had never left, that
we had gone on from those days of first love, to experience the future
and walk the full length of our dreams together, is what I long for
still.

Sharon A. Mack