TheBanyanTree: Big Storm Coming . . . Maybe

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 25 05:55:07 PST 2004

During the 1980s we had so many big snow storms that after a while they
weren’t a major deal.  Schools closed and businesses closed and people
stayed home for a day and that was it.

Now snow is rare.  We had a three inch storm on Friday morning and hundreds
of cars were in the ditch.  People forget how to drive in snow and ice and
assume they can continue to go 80 mph because their SUV will save them.

We’re in a winter storm watch today.  The weather people whip us up into a
panic state.  There might be tons of snow by Monday’s rush hour.  We’ll be
snowed in for days.  But our businesses and schools will remain open because
they don’t want to lose productivity or dollars.  So the SUVs and trucks and
small cars will hit the freeways on Monday and it will take HOURS to get to
work.

Earlier this winter, the weather people were solemnly announcing that we
were in for the storm of this short century.  It was going to snow and snow
and snow.  The storm went south of us and we ended up with an inch.  OK.  We
had a big 10.5 inch storm in December which they never saw coming.  So, it’s
difficult to get revved up into the proper state of fear, because so many of
these storms fizzle out before they get here.  Or they go south.  Or they go
north.  Or they get stuck shopping at Mall of America and just never make it
out of there to snow on us.

This morning’s email weather alert indicated that they now weren’t sure of
the storm’s strength or how many inches will fall.  All I can say at this
moment it’s 9 degrees, we have an angry cloudy sky, the wind is from the SE,
and not even a flake of snow is coming from those clouds.  Are we going to
get missed again?

The ideal would be if it started really snowing hard late this afternoon or
evening.  Then it should snow and snow and snow during the night.  It should
snow so much that the snowplows can’t keep up with it and they have to close
the roads.  Then the businesses would have to close, too.

Ray and I could stay home.  We’d do the snow blower thing.  We’d let the
dogs frolic in the snow.  We’d get the fire in the fireplace going.  We
could watch movies or read or go online.  We bought groceries Friday night,
so we have enough soda and hot chocolate to keep us going.  It would be a
great day.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the ideal snow day will happen, but based
on past experience . . .  we’ll only get an inch and we’ll have to go to
work.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at earthlink.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

A New Year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the
other.
~Author Unknown