TheBanyanTree: My, how time flies!

Dee Churchill dee.cee at verizon.net
Tue Feb 17 11:46:51 PST 2004

> At 06:40 PM 2/16/04 -0600, Paul wrote:
>
>> TheBanyanTree officially opened March 1, 2000.
>> And now, we are four.
>> That's my story.  What's yours?

Good grief, Charlie Brown! We've been climbing around the ol' Tree *that* long? Seems like just a few sunny afternoons, scooting by way too fast, butterflying about from flower to flower.

Some of us go back to a gathering around a campfire that flared up hurtfully, hatefully hot. Wes provided the healing place we know as the Spoon and there is where we found our Family of the Heart. A family that grew so profoundly close that Paul was able to find a magical tree where we could remain together after the doors of the Spoon inevitably closed. A tree so magical that its branches have room for new friends to perch and climb and share discoveries and adventures.

A tree so magical it even has room for a levitating, bartending ellyphunt named Herman, and a flock of big-eyed, long-lashed emu cocktail waitresses who work for chicken feed.

I sometimes wonder how many billion, trillion, gazillion bits and bytes have flown through cyber-space to help form the web of friendship that defines this Tree. Those who haven't tried it think cyber-based friendships are somehow "not real," ephemeral, like fog. The opposite, in fact, is true. Perhaps because we have only the words from our hearts, at least in the beginning, to communicate. We are not distracted by physical appearances or physical surroundings. There are only the words, and through the words we begin to know each other.

Those of us who have been fortunate enough to meet "in the flesh" have learned a wonderful thing: there is no "new person" awkwardness when cyber-friends meet...because we have already learned important things about each other. Things it would take much longer to learn with the physical baggage in the way. Thus, when we do meet in person, it's like seeing an old, cherished friend after a long absence. Everything feels natural and "right."

So...with this upcoming anniversary, I feel impelled to give thanks. Thanks to the tortured soul who lighted a campfire beacon, because that's where it started for me. Thanks to Wes, who made a safe haven for blistered campers, allowing them to heal and learn and share. And profound thanks to Paul, who, along with unsung behind-the-scenes wizards, has continued the tradition that provides us all with a centering touch-point that helps keep us on course, no matter what happens in our daily lives.

Oh. Yeah. Thanks also to Herman and the Emu Brigade because -- well -- I don't want to alarm you  but, gee, you Tree Dwellers are a thirsty bunch!

Party on!

Hugs, Dee...
www.mugajava.com