TheBanyanTree: Coop scooper - and motivating young males to do homework

Red Pepper anita at redpepper.net.au
Sat Feb 14 16:00:11 PST 2004

I just read the "Coop Scooper" drama, literally five minutes after
taking a call from my partner's ex-wife. She rang to advise us, on the
sure knowledge that my partner's 9-year-old boy hadn't done so, that he
had to do a talk in front of the class this coming Wednesday at school.
Today is Sunday, late morning. He has to do a talk on something that
interests him. His topic was his football collection. Which he left at
his mum's place on Friday.  And there is little possibility that we will
be able to retrieve it before Wednesday, given the ex-wife lives a
two-hour round-trip away.

After the call, I went to speak to the 9-year-old, who was comfortably
ensconced in the bean-bag in front of the television. I presented the
situation to him. He said "I was going to ring mum and ask her to bring
them when she picks up Sara tonight (his step-sister)".  No can do -
step-father is picking her up straight from work, where he is right at
this moment, sans footballs. Do you have any footballs here?  "Ah
yeah.well no not really".  Not stirring from the bean-bag, it being an
effort to drag his eyes from the television to hold a conversation with
me. Well, you'll have to think of something else to talk about, okay?
And you'll have to do it today, coz you won't have time during the week.
"Yeah."

And I can just see the EXACT same situation happening as did with the
Coop scooper - come Tuesday night, panic stations as he realises that he
might have to stand up to his Grade 4 teacher and tell her he hasn't
done it. She is a satisfactorily strict teacher who doesn't let any kids
get away with being lazy just because they have a quick wit and a
charming smile, and he's a bit afraid of her. (she never hurts or
humiliates them, just holds them to their responsibilities).
Arggghhhh!!!  It's such a bind, you feel you can't just let them go in
and take the consequences as it would be too mean, but how will they get
motivated to actually do it otherwise?

I guess this issue has probably been plaguing humans since Neanderthal
child didn't want to go out digging up roots. "Then you won't eat!"
Sure, mum!

Anita