TheBanyanTree: Belief

R J Fernalld srfern at verizon.net
Mon Feb 2 01:09:25 PST 2004

Belief

"Whoso loves believes the impossible."
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Come again to belief have I by thy hand...
from the dangers of the damned and blessed
now rescued, awash upon a silent shoreline
thy love hast begat me calm seas and rest

Neither garish pinnacle nor smooth slope
gave respite...hope abandoned comforts not fear
tis love alone that rocked gently, sifting doubt
not false faith, but impossible belief thy gifted me

No step forward nor turning nor return gives peace
tis belief begotten by thy heart that succors
No pain steals or stains belief born of love
thy love mends me and soothes the creature bound

No bard, muse, mother's love or philosophy holds, tis
Only thy love, thy beautiful heart strong and steady
thy love is the impossible chain that unfettered me
till by thy love came I again unto believing.

copyright R J Fernalld 2004