TheBanyanTree: By way of Thanks

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Feb 2 08:52:34 PST 2004

February 2, 2000004

Dear Everyone,

	I've gotten so many words of love and offers for prayers from
so many of my friends here.  I wish I could be more articulate, but I
am not thinking clearly.  This is a good sign.  At least I know I'm
not thinking clearly, so I can be pretty sure I'm not completely
gone.  David thinks he's thinking clearly.   I've come to the
conclusion that he's suffered a real breach in his fabric.  He can't
keep going on the way he was going on, so dead and dull and flat and
guarded.  In order to destroy the old fellow, he's had to do the
awful rotary blade dance.  It's very effective in keeping others at a
distance and it keeps you busy.  It also gets even.  It's pay back
time for all the moments he suffered squashing himself.  (Oh, LOrd!
All those moments I spent trying to sing him out, urge him out, learn
who he was).

	So, maybe even though he's got an I.Q of three thousand and
is admired world over by physicists and astrophysicists......,maybe
he can function scientifically now, and carry on as if life were
moving forward, but he's just not in his right mind.

	Meyshe didn't want to speak to David for a while.  Not a
word.  He told me, "I shall give him the cold shoulder if he tries to
talk to me."  After a week and a half of misery, there was an
appointment we had to bring Meyshe to.  David wants to be there at
appointments, to crush boxes in the basement, to drive kids here and
there, but doesn't want them "to get the wrong idea" should we do
something on a Saturday afternoon as a family (GO FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!)
I asked Meyshe if it would be all right that Papa come along to the
appointment (evaluation by shrink to authorize psychiatric
intervention for recent development of perseverative paranoid thought
patterns).  Meyshe looked up at me and said, "I guess I might like to
meet him again."  ....as if this were some new creature that would
have to be introduced.

	In the car on the way over, Meyshe was entirely silent.
David parked on a busy downtown Oakland street, people rushing here
and there.  When Meyshe got out of the car, he suddenly turned to
David and began to shout, urgently, "HOW DARE YOU!!!  HOW DARE
YOU!!!!  SHAME ON YOU!  YOU, A MAN OF SCIENCE!  LOOK WHAT YOU'VE
DONE!  YOU'VE WOUNDED YOUR WIFE AND YOUR CHILDREN WHO LOVE YOU!  YOU
HAVE AN ILLNESS IN YOUR HEART AND IN YOUR MIND!!!!  HOW COULD YOU DO
THIS TO US!?"    People were stopping to take this in.  Then Meyshe
got down on his knees, clenched his fists tightly in prayer and
continued, "I BEG OF YOU, PAPA!  I BEG OF YOU!  COME HOME TO YOUR
WIFE AND FAMILY!!!!!"

	Then he was done, got up, turned up the street and walked
toward the building.  David looked stunned.  He whispered to me,
"That tore my heart out."  And I said, "Gee.  That's funny.  It
didn't tear your heart out when I said the same thing."

	I am continuing

	more later.

	Love,

	Tobie