TheBanyanTree: The Day after Christmas

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sun Dec 26 06:03:21 PST 2004

The stockings hung with care are empty.  Some of the ornaments on the
“perfect” tree have been disrupted and now lay at the base along with opened
presents looking for a home.  Leftover Christmas cookies are wrapped in
cellophane and hidden away so I don’t mindlessly eat them.  Christmas dinner
leftovers are in the refrigerator.  The china and the Christmas glasses have
been washed and stowed in the cupboards for a last performance on New Year’
s.  The Christmas music is fading away . . .

We had a dusting of snow, the big fat kind of snowflakes that makes
Christmas so romantic, on Christmas Day.  We met in the big city of
Minneapolis, laced up ice skates and spent the afternoon skating in the
Milwaukee Depot, an old train depot turned into a beautiful ice skating rink
(indoors) surrounded by glass windows.

My little grandson (three almost four) pushed around a “chair” on the ice,
falling, and sliding, and laughing, and we had to drag him off when it was
time to go home.  The older one (five years old) used a “chair,” too, but
only for security.  He skated quite well when we took the “chair” away from
him.

We gathered at our house for a dinner of rigatoni and garlic bread and
relaxed smiles, now that the Christmas preparation is over.  We savored the
best part of Christmas, the joy and happiness of being together after
enjoying such an enchanted afternoon on the ice.

We brought out the candy cane pie and filled our cups with hot peppermint
coffee.

It was a “perfect” ending to a “perfect” Christmas.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

I have always thought of Christmas time as a good time; a kind, forgiving,
charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of
the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up
hearts freely.
~Charles Dickens