TheBanyanTree: I'm Dreaming of a Brown Christmas

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Sat Dec 18 06:32:43 PST 2004

Dearer than memory, brighter than expectation is the ever returning now of
Christmas.  Why else, each time we greet in return, should happiness ring
out in us like a peal of bells?
-- Elizabeth Bowen

According to the best weather minds in Minnesota, it is highly unlikely we’
ll have a white Christmas in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota.  I’ll have
to play my Bing Crosby CD and close my eyes and remember Christmases past
that were cold and white.

The wind is howling once again across the prairie and the temperatures are
going to drop like a rock as the day wears on.  I’m planning to visit my
parents and grandmother and uncle at the cemetery this afternoon.  We’ll
hammer the wreaths into the frozen ground by their graves and wish them a
good Christmas.

Ray and I will brave the cold tonight and drive to the big city of
Minneapolis.  I made reservations to have dinner at a French style
restaurant.  Ray and I don’t eat out like we used to.  I think part of it is
because as a weight watcher, restaurants can be dangerous for me and I also
think it’s just nice to eat at home.  We can watch the news or read the
paper or exchange tidbits about our days without a waitress interrupting us.
Enjoying a meal together is just not the same in a restaurant.  But we’re
going out tonight and I’ll wear my wool pants so my legs don’t get frost
bitten.

The “perfect tree” my grandsons picked out is much more fragrant than any
other Fraser fir I’ve had.  I can smell the wonderful pine all over the
house.  The tree is beautiful – I think one of the best trees we’ve had.

The feeling of Christmas anticipation is building.  We bought the rest of
our Christmas feast groceries last night.  I’ll begin to bake cookies either
today or tomorrow.  The warm oven will help ward off the cold.

And I’ll dream about a brown Christmas . . .

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.bpwmn.org

I have always thought of Christmas time as a good time; a kind, forgiving,
charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of
the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up
hearts freely.
~Charles Dickens