TheBanyanTree: One Of Those Days

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 19:14:51 PDT 2004

Today was my last day/night in my house.

Yes, it was the right decision to sell, and the buyers gave me three months
after closing to sort, pack, and get the new place for habitation. (It still
isn't ready, but that's another story)

I was able to take my time, and it wasn't hard choosing what to take, what to
throw, what to go to the Goodwill. Most of the furnishings were in place when
we bought the place, nearly twenty years ago, so no real family or historical
value lost.

Yet, today was my last day. Tomorrow, I lock the door for the last time, walk
the beach one last time, check on the caladiums and orchids for the last
time. And leave.

Funny day. I went out to pick up some Chinese for a quick supper as we packed
the last items. The sun had gone down, the traffic was light, the neighbor
waved as she went by walking her dog. I pulled out and heard the chew of my
tires on the shell driveway, and it made me cry.  I won't hear that sound again.

I won't hear the surf when I sleep with my windows open. I won't hear the
whipppoorwill or the night frogs. I wont hear the neighbor's dog barking as
Moonie, my hundred-and-one-year-old neighbor takes her morning walk. A familiar
sound, the bay of the neighbor's beagle and Moonie's, "oh shut up will you."

I won't be raking up the oak leaves, or checking the lemon tree for blossoms.
Oh, I know, there are other lemon trees. There are other oak trees.  But, not
in this particular combination.

No longer will I feel that special aura of this place I have loved for so
long. The smell of the cypress paneling, the cool feel of the Mexican tile on
bare feet, the squeak of a faucet, the feeling of shelter and haven under the
arching boughs of the trees. This place is truly a haven. It saved my life,
literally.

And, now, my ownership is over, my tenancy here is down to minutes.

Farewell, place of my heart.

NancyLee