TheBanyanTree: The convenience of blaming the victim

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 09:17:44 PDT 2003

As a teacher, I can honestly say that parental cooperation even in the most
basics, like doing homework and coming to school, is sadly lacking these
days.
 I have to add a little rant of my own. I used to think we can't always blame
the parents for the acts of the children: take into account school violence
or crookery in which the parents take the brunt of the blame for what their
child has unwisely done.

Yet, there comes a point when the parent IS responsible, as least for younger
children. I used to teach, but my students were handicapped, so the
comparison isn't fair. However, lately, I have pinch-hitted as childcare person for a
family in financial straits.

Father had surgery and is home recovering, so, no income. Mother had a decent
job in an office, but had continueing trouble with coworkers, so, in spite of
her being the only breadwinner, she quit.  Dhe got really lucky, however,
when her employer gave her a month's pay severance.

She pays me nothing for daycare of her children (plural) and she says she's
going to contact this person and that, get retrained, etc etc so she can get
work.

The first day she had her hair done and lunched out with her hubby. The
second day she called an employment agency and said she'd think about going with
them. The third day she heard about a job-fair coming up and said she would go.
The fourth day her mini van developed trouble, and instead of driving it as
it, or getting the $200 repair done, she and hubby went out and got a new
pickup. Granted, it was a used one, but more costly than the van, in spite of having
lower payments. Her logic? "I got a whole month's pay."  What is she going to
do at the end of the month, pray tell?

And, I'm watching her kids for nothing until she gets another job.  She packs
them no food for their lunches, except grapes when she has them, lunch meat
when she remembers, fruit box drinks now and then, and a bit of Jalapena cheese
from hubby's lunch out.  I end up buying groceries for the kids, too. But
what else can I do?

I think parents should have to prove their ability to parent before being
able to activate their children-producing apparatus, much like having to activate
a credit card or get a driver's license.

Just sign this: the daycare sucker

There, now I feel better.

NancyLee