TheBanyanTree: The convenience of blaming the victim

JNorton eudora at inreach.com
Wed Oct 8 06:25:52 PDT 2003

As a teacher, I can honestly say that parental cooperation even in the most
basics, like doing homework and coming to school, is sadly lacking these
days. And at my school we do work to eliminate bullies. However, some
parents, when contacted about their child bullying others, shrug and say,
"Kids will be kids."

I've had students with appalling hygiene. I've kept deodorant, toothbrushes,
toothpaste, soap, etc. in my desk drawer for students to use. I've known of
teachers who send dirty or smelly students to the PE dressing room to
shower.

What makes people think that in 6 or 7 hours a day, maybe 5 days a week, 180
days a year, I can overcome the influence of parents and what they do or
don't teach their children? Doesn't this parent have the ultimate
responsibility for his or her child? And there's no lack of ads on TV
extolling personal hygiene.

Jena, Full Moon Warrior Princess