TheBanyanTree: Good choice

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Wed Oct 29 03:11:17 PST 2003

Tuesday October 28, 2003

GOOD CHOICE

I remember, years back now, giving a young woman in my main programming
team the best bit of advice I've ever managed to summon up from the
bottomless pit of my ineptitude. She was a darn good programmer, and well
liked in the team. Attractive, well built, pleasant character... all the
attributes required for a successful and happy life. Except for one thing.
She'd decided that she had failed in the love department and fallen into
the trap of waiting for the right man to turn up. You know the thing. Heavy
sighs. Needlepoint. Hankie always at the ready to dab moist eyes.

All of which is fine if it kindles your candle but it didn't suit S___, and
she knew it.

One day she came into my office, plomped down in the comfy chair I kept for
visitor's, and told me all about it. People did that back then, as if I
knew anything about anything.

"What should I do, John?"

"Look, S___," I said. "It's no use waiting for a knight in shining armour
to ride in and sweep you off your feet. Life ain't like that. When you see
a passing knight it's up to you to grab him by the short and curlies and
don't let go until he realises how lucky he is."

A strange look came into S___'s eyes, somewhere between deeply offended and
suddenly enlightened. The rest of the interview went well, and we didn't
touch on the subject again. She changed, though. Something of the huntress
became apparent, and when she was dealing with blokes of the eligible kind
there was a slight but significant predatory air about her.

And then she got married.

At the next office party she brought hubby along for inspection. He was a
presentable young man, good looking tending to the handsome, with a sparkle
in his eye and very, very good teeth. And quite clearly devoted to his
equally handsome unblushing bride.

"What do you think of my passing knight who didn't, John?" she asked in a
quiet moment.

"Looks good to me, S___," I replied. "What's he do for a living?"

"Dentist."

"Good choice."

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales