TheBanyanTree: Bah! Humbug!

John Bailey john at oldgreypoet.com
Tue Oct 14 00:03:27 PDT 2003

Monday October 13, 2003

BAH! HUMBUG!

Four or five young teenagers piped up merrily as I opened the door this
evening:  "We wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you a Merry Christmas..."

My reaction was to laugh, of course. Genuinely, because I found it really
funny.

"Hang on a sec'," I said, and pulled the door to while I went to fetch my
coin purse. The singing continued. They actually knew all the words. And
the tune.

"There," I said, plonking a pound into the outstretched palm of the
ringleader. "That's for your cheek. It's not Christmas yet."

"It soon will be," returned one of the others. "It's only about four weeks."

"Oh, I think you need to check your arithmetic on that.  Now, don't try and
catch me out again until it really is Christmas."

"Thanks!" they said.  And, "Goodnight!"

Standing at the window, I watched them march off to the next house, well
pleased with their booty.

"How much did you give them?" Graham asked.

"A quid."

"That seems a trifle excessive."

"Nah. They gave me a good laugh, and that's worth a quid, Christmas or not."

"Hmmph."

"Don't you mean 'Bah! Humbug!'?"

--
John Bailey   Carmarthenshire, Wales