TheBanyanTree: Where is everyone?

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue May 27 10:27:38 PDT 2003

May 27, 2003

Monique you little lynx,
Monique you little manx,
Monique you little sphinx,
Monique you little minks,
Relinx your little monks,
Unique, you middle lunks,
Release your little antique,
Sphinx you lynky moan,

	Of course people are out here.  We're all over the place.
We're just, you know, busy.  You know how it is.  Busy.  There is
just so much stuff to do and so little time, and here we are in our
three hundred separate lives, sorting through the spam, one at a
time, baby, ONE AT A TIME.   Myself?  I posted three ads to the
UCBerkeley job center, announcing three separate positions in my
MISERABLE household.  I clicked, "Send", and one minute later, I TELL
YOU NO LIE, the phone started ringing.  The whole week, last week,
was like that.  I'd be sifting through the applicants (most
unqualified), responding to everyone, and while doing that, two more
applications would come in, and the phone would ring three times.  I
got over 80 applications.  I am not the hiring and firing kind.  This
whole thing got my nerves all frixled, and my sleep interrupted.  I
snapped at my husband (only after he was asleep), just because I
needed to snap.

	Now it's the week after, the jobs have been filled, and it's
back to the spam.
	Children dropping down from the clouds in free fall
	Husband falling asleep and still walking, goes to work and
comes back dry
	The only person in the house without ADD, I am like a
breathing alarm clock

	did you remember to take your meds
	did you write down the appointment
	it is you who promised to pick her up after school
	did you get milk
	don't forget your 2:00
	don't forget your 3:15
	don't forget your keys, your wallet, your synapses
	take the meds now
	don't forget the books
	dinner now
	dinner now
	dinner NOW
	turn off the computer, dinner now
	you forgot the salt
	there are no plates on the table
	please put away the milk
	did you take your meds
	take your meds now
	I'm your wife, why?
	I said I'm your wife, why do you ask
	I said I'm your wife, why
	why
	honey you can't make those big noises in public
	what homework do you have
	I hadn't heard about the art project until this minute
	what did the teacher say
	your keys are on the dresser under the magazine
	yes I did call
	you were supposed to help her with her homework
	so why is she asleep in our bed and you're watering the tomatoes
	take your stinking meds
	they're on the dresser under the magazine
	yes I called them
	honey you can't make those big noises in public
	dinner now
	you forgot your 2:00
	not 4:00.  you had a 2:00 and a 3:15
	then write them down
	you can't finish all of that before school tomorrow
	on the dresser
	I said why am I your wife
	I need to go to bed I can't help you if you start your
homework at midnight
	sweetheart what's the matter
	life's like that
	life's like that
	honey you can't make those big noises in public
	it scares people
	they don't understand you
	I understand you
	I'm so proud of you
	on the dresser
	then write them down
	sweetie, that's for your room, don't do that here
	they're on your damn dresser under your magazine
	you were supposed to help her with her homework
	so why is she asleep in our bed and you're watering the tomatoes
	yes I did call
	I'm trying to discuss this with you please don't fall asleep
	please don't fall
	asleep
	why can't I leave you in charge for a minute without a disaster
	I need to go to bed
	and I have to clean up the mess
	I need to go to bed
	I'm trying to discuss this with you please don't fall asleep
	don't tell me you're awake when you're asleep
	did you take your evening meds
	life's like that
	life's like that
	my life's like that

	O.K. Monique.  You asked.  Is anyone out there?  Anywhere?
Oh honeypie, I am definitely way out there.  anywhere.

	Love,

	Tobie

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro