TheBanyanTree: My Memorial Day

Sheri Baity crowfly at ptd.net
Tue May 27 03:07:21 PDT 2003

A story is a story is a story even if it is written for the local newspaper and this tree's branches hasn't been swaying in the breeze much, so here's the latest news from my town.

Community Support Strong In Mansfield

By Sheri L. Baity

Rain may have cancelled the parade, but the spirit still shined in Mansfield on Memorial Day. Thomas Wierbowski, Mansfield's mayor, announced to a disappointed crowd the change in plans, because of weather, but added that there will still be the ceremony at Prospect Street Cemetery, as planned. This was too important of a day to not remember the men and women that have served our great country, in one form or another.

The roar of the engines brought in another group of people that were there to see the start of the parade before they advanced to Lance's Harley Davidson for a benefit run for the Endless Mountains Evergreen Halfway House for Adolescents in Canton. With veterans amongst the group and ones who served in the armed services, they carry a special message to all who are fortunate enough to speak with them.

"Some of us work for the pentagon, some guys are disabled, I'm a charge nurse for Frederick, Maryland. The common bond of this whole thing is, we all like motorcycles and we all want to develop clean and sober friends because it's a better life style. It's kind of funny how this whole biker thing has evolved for all of us, because we wind up doing almost the opposite of the public image," Que stated, member of A.R.M. (Association of Recovering Motorcyclists).

"We are international, and have chapters all over the united states, Canada, Sweden and Norway since 1986 and it is all AA (alcohol anonymous) based. We do a lot of contributions to children," Que added. As they made their way out of town with flags flapping in the wind, the group that turned out in spite of the rain, made their way to the cemetery.

Greetings with flag hand-outs, were the children of Cheryl DeWalt, Vice President of the Mansfield Ladies Auxiliary Post 6757. "We give the children flags every year so that they can remember the veterans. We have been doing this way back, but I have been doing this for two years now. We place bouquet of flowers by the monument both here and in Covington to honor the women who have died for our country," Cheryl said.

Ted Clark who served in the United States Army during Vietnam, placed the wreath at the memorial honoring the men. With a quick snap salute, he went back to stand in formation. Also in line were John Kingsley, US Navy during the Iran Hostage Crisis, Jack Moran, Vietnam era and Richard Wilson, commander for the VFW. Mayor Wierbowski, lead all in the Pledge To The Allegiance and singing of the National Anthem.

The most fitting tribute to our men and women, was when the Mayor read "In Flanders Fields," written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, M.D. (1872-1918), while serving in the Canadian Army. There is much information regarding the story behind this piece on the web by doing a search on Flanders Field. For those who do not have access, the story goes as follows:

Nineteen fifteen, Lt. Col. John McCrae wrote this poem, overlooking a field of red poppies while stationed in Flanders, Belgium during World War I. While staring at the simple wooden cross atop Lieut. Alexis Helmer's grave, McCrae's friend and former student, he composed a 15 line verse in 20 minutes capturing that very moment that would go on to become the most memorable war poem ever written. The wild red poppies which sprang up in ditches, danced in the eastern breeze, as he wrote:

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place, and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

After McCrae wrote this, he was not satisfied and threw it to the ground. A young soldier, Sergeant Major Cyril Allinson, who watched him write it, picked it up and submitted it to several newspapers until the Punch published it on December 8, 1915.

Thus brings to surface the millions of tiny red poppies, as mentioned in McCrae's poem, handed out by the veterans around the world, to remember and honor the ones who have died in wars. From the veterans to us, it is a living tribute and promise of not forgetting the men and women all over who fight for our country so that we might live free.

June Rudy of Mansfield, spoke with strong feelings. "We need to be here. This is a very caring community, and when anybody is involved, everybody is involved. I'm here for them," she said pointing to John and Claire Heaps, also of Mansfield.

"We have a grand daughter over seas fighting, so it has a special meaning to us this year. We've been coming to this for 50 years," said John Heaps.