TheBanyanTree: The first boyfriend gets his pink slip

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri May 9 14:12:56 PDT 2003

May 9, 20000003

Dear Lovers and EX Lovers, All,

	I'm leafing through this huge, 200 page spiral binder which I
have not named.  I buy these in quantity from "The Binder Bin" (or
any local stationary stationery store - where the paper doesn't blow
away).  Since I swore an oath to write every day without fail, I have
started filling these things up, every page, both sides, maybe three
or four of them a year.  Maybe more; I haven't checked.  I found
something dated March 10, 2003 that snapped me between the eyes.  So
here.

Monday, March 10, 2003

	Feyna borrowed a line of mine to use with Josh.  She was
asking me about relationships and what happens when people break up.

	With a look of innocent surprise and bewilderment, she said
she'd always figured that splitting up would be a logical thing, and
that two people would be talking to each other saying things such as
(and here, I shoot myself out of my own canon of fantasy and deadly
experience):

1)  Well, I really need someone more social than you are.
2)  And I need more solitude than you do.
1)  I had hoped we would be compatible, but it turns out that I'm
dissatisfied with your lack of desire to articulate your feelings.
2)  Yes, you're right.  I can't.  I don't.
1)  Perhaps, we should separate.
2)  Yes.  It's a sad thing.
1)  Yes.
2)  Goodbye.
1)  Goodbye.

	The scene she envisioned, in her head and her expectations,
was lousy with civility,  civility that seldom happens anywhere near
the human heart and nowhere near bedtime.

	I told her that it's seldom pleasant, and frequently painful.
I even had to break the news to her that it's usually ugly, even
infantile:  grown men and women (men and men, women and women,
transsexuals and gendered non-pan-sexuals, etc.) stomping their feet,
shouting epithets and hateful things at each other, purposefully
wounding someone they once thought they treasured.  And then, they
each cringe away, reeking of regret, anger and longing, take a
breath, mourn for a while, act like idiots, eat themselves into
stupors, or drink until their shoes are soggy, write mean, desperate
letters, finally cool off, gain balance and say, "Thank God, I did
that.  I wish I'd done it sooner."

	The differences are in degrees, decibels, time frame, tempo,
style and method of madness.  But it does resolve.  And with skill
and a nod to guilt and emptiness, we learn something and move on.

	She asked me for and example of something  I'd said to
someone I was breaking up with.  She wanted to hear something pithy.

	I repeated my line to Andrew (the cheapest emotional miser
I've ever known).  I told him, "Go grow up all over somebody else."
Feyna liked that so much she used it as a message on Josh's cell
phone.

	That was last night.  Today, when I arrived to pick Feyna up
at her orchestra rehearsal, she looked so settled and her sea so calm
that I was afraid she may have been given or given herself a snow
job.   If so, well, she'll be going through this again with Josh, the
roller coaster ride and the moments of decision.  Again and again,
again and again.

	It's really more nostalgia than I ever wanted to experience.

	The record scratches again.  We hear the same one and a half
seconds of a disjointed awful discordant spit of music and the same
segment of a word
		over and over and over and over

	"...be all alo... ...be all alo... ...be all alo... ...be all alo... "

Tobie
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA