TheBanyanTree: First Draft

Sheri Baity crowfly at ptd.net
Fri Mar 28 12:58:42 PST 2003

Sorry if this turns out to be a dupe, I didn't know where to send it... blonde moment

In memory of the anniversary of my Father's crossing 4/4/01, a story needed to be written.  Honest feedback please privately of course.  I'm thinking about sending this to the Organ Donor Foundation.  Your thoughts?

Thank You
Sheri
With My Eyes That You Now Have

With my eyes that you now have, I have seen many facets of the world. I have seen myself pull out record breaking trout out of small, cool, tree covered streams where the warm rays of sun dance through the branches as hawk circles above. I have watched turkeys leave their roosts in the early morning sky as they gently glide to the farmer's fields looking for their first feed of the day. I've shared while camoflauged in the sight of seeing the Doe gently nudge and teach her fawn into staying close by her side as she teaches the little one what to look for and eat. I have watched bear with her three cubs playing a game of leapfrog all the way across the damp swamp stopping here and there for a gentle tackle and roll as they play there way to their den.

I remember seeing the blue grasses of Kentucky swaying in the gentle breeze as I made a trip to the Grand Ole Opry and sketching a permanent memory in my mind to keep for life. I remember making the trip to Seattle Washington to see the Space Needle thinking how small everything is getting the higher we climb to the top. I remember walking aboard the huge C-17's that my one son use to navigate while serving his country for the Air Force wondering how this huge piece of metal could ever go airborn.

I have watched this beautiful woman become my wife, then Mother, then Grandmother as her gentle nurturing still shines through to this day. I have seen my children grow and go off on their own as they become parents themselves bringing along some of our teachings to pass down. I was even fortunate to watch my Great Granddaughter see me with her eyes and smile back at me while I made funny faces to her.

I have seen death but I have also witnessed life with each accident scene I was called to as we rescued people from burning buildings or crushed vehicles. I have watched the miraculous efforts of life flight as they take off or land bringing in yet another person in hopes of another chance at living. I remember the expressions of troubled teens as the many police officers introduced them to the reality of Dare and Scared Straight programs and relished in seeing the ones that turned their life around because of the officers hard work and effort.

I have seen the sun set and rise every day of my life as God paints beautiful colors on that enormous canvas we call sky. I have watched tree's change from first brown budded tips to lush greens then bright oranges, yellows and gold going back to bare stems as the many seasons of the year pass through. I have seen storms forming off in the distance and watched as they gained strength passing overhead and wondering just how tall those clouds were with the massive thunderheads. I have gazed to the night sky countless times in awe of their ability to sparkle counting the endless shooting stars that streamed before me making a wish on everyone keeping it secret to my heart only.

With these very eyes that you now have, I have seen Life. I have seen Love. I have seen the world. With my gift that has been handed to you, what do you see now?

Be a Donor, won't you please? Do it for Love. Do it for Life. Do it for someone to have a second chance at the world. That was my Father's wish as respected by our family. I can't help but smile everytime I think about it. Because of Sammie, someone out there has hope. Because of him, someone out there is having a chance at seeing their world.