TheBanyanTree: Thonotosassa Night

B Drummond red_clay at numail.org
Sun Jul 20 22:44:46 PDT 2003

few things move me like the moon rising in an aparition's slow dance in
the mist over the ocean or scents of melaleuca and sabal palm drifting
in the night air over the canal

or the low groan of a bullfrog echoing over the lilypads, or the wild
thrashing from the shoreline sawgrass as a bass of ungodly size chases
hapless baitfish into oblivion

when nightbirds shreik and small frogs peep and cicadas buzz like high
tension powerlines overhead, when they send my mind reeling, their
constancy drumming the subconscious free into frightening figures
dancing around a campfire of glowing coals

when the summer air is thick with winged things that light and buzz and
brush by; sometimes stinging, always on the move in a swirling insect
whirlpool around me

when I feel each rhythm, until no sounds evoke fear, and move with those
rhytmns until I feel that I am a part of it all

when I stay until I'm not a just another visitor come to observe but
until I am another creature adding yet another rhythm to a Thonotosassa
night

    bd
    ----