TheBanyanTree: Surreal is the mind of a teen...

Sachet sachet at iline.com
Tue Aug 12 11:57:23 PDT 2003

  I don't know whether to be very impressed or very scared by what my
daughter arranged Sunday night. ;-)

It was the "Back To School Bash i.e. - Messy Sunday".

She thought up every single detail her very own self and had to figure
up exactly what supplies she needed and then purchase them using the
church account at Walmart. Chelsea was so tense, hoping and praying it
would all turn out well and that everyone would have a great time.

There were four stations:

# 1 - The mud facial treatment from the south of France.
Facial expert Monsieur Robere with his delightful French accent,
carefully and precisely instructed each patron to blindfold their
partner. Then they had to stand in front of their partner and watch
whilst Monsieur Robere dipped the blindfolded persons hands in the cool
rich fragrant *mud, guaranteed to cleanse ze pores upon application.
Monsieur Robere forgot to do a headcount upon the arrival of ze patrons
and zo he had to partner up with an adorable little girl who took great
delight in wearing the blindfold and applying the mud to his face....and
hair......and neck.....and ears. <g>

*(chocolate fudge pudding)

# 2 - The body wrap from Ancient Egypt.
Two brave souls volunteered to be wrapped like mummies in the soft folds
of *ancient paper, before being gently doused with the healing **waters
of the Nile. Some of the brave souls had just came from the mud baths of
southern France, and so it was ummmmmm......interesting to see the mud
and ancient paper, mix together with the healing waters of the NIle. <g>

* toilet paper
** water in squirt guns

# 2 - Pyramid building.
Each group had to build a pyramid of people, hold it long enough to sing
the first verse of a song and to have their picture taken. Some groups
had to do a lot of rebuilding. Prolly because the lower levels kept
getting the giggles and would collapse too soon.

# 3 - Art appreciation.
Each group of artists was given several vibrant colors of washable paint
and instructed to paint each other to look like either:
an aquarium, butterflies, smurfs, or cats. I think my favorite was the
aquarium group. They painted a few kids to look like colorful fish, but
then two of the kids were painted all blue (and I do mean ALL blue) to
be the water in the aquarium.

#4 - Plane Crash Triage.
Each group of survivors of this horrific event was given cans of whipped
cream, strawberry syrup and shaving cream and instructed to create
realistic wounds and injures to be judged by the attending paramedics -
J.D. & Mike. They created gaping bleeding wounds on faces, arms, legs,
and torso's, with the convincing addition of big white casts and
bandages on arms and legs. One kid filled his mouth with strawberry
syrup and did a realistic rendition of spitting up blood. Oy, with a grin.

The piece de resistance was the pizza eating contest. After completing
each station, each group was given a "prize" bag of ingredients for
their pizza. Once every station was completed, they all gathered around
the pizza crusts which were already covered in pizza sauce. They then
had to make a pizza from the delicious fresh ingredients in their bags.
There were grapes, pickled eggs, applesauce, sardines, raisins, and
sweet beets. Then they covered them in cheese and I baked them until the
cheese melted. The team that managed to eat the most of the pizza they
had created won some cool prizes. The mom helping me had to keep
stepping away from the pizza's coz she couldn't handle the smell of the
sardines. Chelsea wisely insisted that the most pizza any kid could eat
was one slice, because some of the boys were wanting to prove their
manliness by consuming the whole thing. Ick!

After the pizza eating contest and the prizes were awarded we hosed the
kids down (literally), made them wash their hands in sudsy water and
then served them soda pop and real pizza that we had delivered. We all
stood or sat around the parking lot, eating, drinking, listening to loud
Christian rock music and laughing over the evenings activities. I had
carried Zach's video cam around all evening and captured some hilarious
moments. Wish I could share them with you. When the film from the
camera's is developed I'll be sure and post a few candid pictures.

.....Sachet