TheBanyanTree: A Totally Organic Expreince

SpiritRose bonnie.brace at verizon.net
Tue Apr 8 09:45:37 PDT 2003

It has been a long, cold, snowy winter. The local weathercaster says we have had over 103 inches this year. All I know is that I am sick and tired of the cold, snow and ice. Imagine my delight when a few weeks back it suddenly warmed up and in a matter of days the 4 foot high snow banks were nothing but  tiny mounds of ugly dirty sand. The ice melted leaving mud and puddles everywhere but dried up in a week as the sun soaked up the moisture. The smell of spring was definately in the air.
Now I have been known to do some pretty wild things in the springtime. I suppose it is the relief of finally being able to get about without a ton of winter clothing on and the fact that Cabin fever always runs high by this time of year. Of late, my antics have been concentrated on my hair. After a long winter I needed a refreshing change. I was tired of looking in the mirror seeing these tresses matted and mussed after a restless nights sleep. I often expected to find a nest of birds or mice had taken up residence in my head because of all the tangles and snarls.  On the first official day of Spring, before I could change my mind, I called the hairdresser and made an appointment. Arriving at her place she commented on how long it had been since she had seen me and how much my hair had grown.
"Cut it off!" I instructed, "Cut it all off."
"What?" she asked incredously.
"I want you to cut it off I can't take it anymore. I'm tired of it so cut it all off."
You can well imagine her horror at the very thought shaving my head. After all once you are a captive in the "chair" your hair is no longer yours. It becomes HERS to do with as she deems fit. After all "SHE KNOWS" what I really want. For that I am eternally grateful since it is obvious that I know nothing when it comes to hair. I must say she did a good job. The cut is cute and it is a wash a go, just puff it out with my fingers and I'm off. No more tangles or worries about small animals wanting to nest there.
    One would think that a new Doo would be enough, right?  NOT for me! Oh no,  I still have that itchy, springy, gotta do something wild feeling so after looking closely in the mirror and losing count of all the gray hairs that seemed to appear after the cut I decide a little color would be nice. But what color? Hmmmm, decisions, decisions.  Well hey, how about one of those TOTALLY ORGANIC experiences they are always talking about on TV? Looking at all the various colors I finally decide on one called "Beyond Cherry". The picture on the back shows it to be a lovely dark brownish/blackish red. Now that is a color I could deal with quite nicely.
    So there I was, a box of hair color in my hand, wondering if I should really do this. Taking a deep breath I started the process. According to the directions in 25 min I would have the color of Beyond Cherry and a whole organic experience.     In the shower washing the goo out of my hair I waited for the moans and "ohh yes, yess, yessssssssss " to begin but alas...nothing. One would think there would be some sort of reaction, after all it happens on TV, right??? It wasn't until after I got out of the shower and was drying my hair the reaction to the experience began.  "OH MY GAWD, OH NO!!" are only a few of the explectives worthy of reprinting here.  Standing there, in front of the mirror was a face barely reconizable because of the extreme hair color change.
    I have to admit the makers of the "Totally Organic Experience" didn't lie. I got the "Beyond Cherry" look...yea, a Marischino Cherry!!!
So here I sit, one short haired, Marischino Cherry headed woman. To add insult to injury the warm weather with promises of green grass turned out to be nothing but a tease. We have had 4 days of ice and snow and below freezing temperatures.
Have I learned my lesson? Probably not, by the time Cabin Fever hits next year, this years fiasco will have been long forgotten and I will once again find myself in yet another crazy situation of my own making.  I used to claim these were Blonde root attacks but now I can say it's actually a Marischino Cherry attack.

May your days and nights be filled with joy and laughter

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.
~~Helen Keller~~

"You gain strength, courage & confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself; I lived through this horror, I can take the next thing that comes along...You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
~~Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962)
    You learn by Living (1960)
Visit, The Realm of SpiritRose at
http://www.geocities.com/spiritrose42.geo