TheBanyanTree: BLOOD LINE by LaRose Karr

LaRose Karr rosiebay at kci.net
Fri Apr 4 06:24:35 PST 2003

BLOOD LINE by LaRose Karr
One hundred seventeen years ago, the Lord paved the way for me to go to Washington D.C. in the spring of 2003.

That's a bold statement isn't it?  Hard to comprehend that God thinks of us so far in advance.  But I believe it is true.  The stories of our lives are not crafted haphazardly or by chance, not by some great hoohah in the sky who looks down on the world as a playground.  Instead a loving Father who knew us before birth creates us.  (Jeremiah 1:4-5 Before I formed you in the womb I knew you...)

Actually the story goes back farther than one hundred seventeen years but for the purposes of storytelling in short form, I will start this story in the year 1886.

John Thomas Cypert was born June 19, 1886.  His parents were Millard Fillmore and Sarah Minervia Osborne Cypert.  Millard was the son of Captain Thomas Jefferson Cypert, a civil war veteran and state senator in Tennessee.  Captain Tom also attended the second inauguration of Abraham Lincoln.

Two years later Tom's baby sister Mary Emma Cypert came along November 14, 1888.  These two children grew up in the last part of the 19th century.  They played together, learned bible scriptures in church, were schoolmates, attended college and later became teachers. They had two brothers and a younger sister.

Tom and Emma each married and raised large families.  Tom remained in their hometown in Alabama while Emma moved to Tennessee.  While both had teaching degrees, Tom spent a portion of his life as a builder.  He even constructed a large home for his family that still stands today and family members occupied until recently.  Emma gave up teaching when marrying and became a full time wife and mother.

Tom's wife gave birth to a daughter named Frances who in turn has a daughter named Janet.  One of Emma's daughters is named Laurine who is my mother.

In 1974 after a long full life, Tom passed away on his birthday at age eighty-eight.  I traveled to Alabama with two of my mother's sisters to attend his funeral.  While there I met Tom's granddaughter Janet.  We instantly became friends.  While it was a sad time for the family, Janet and I bonded, enjoying each other's company.  We kept busy talking and giggling as teens do.

Janet's younger sister followed us closely around the home place and ran behind us up the stairs in the large home that Uncle Tom built.  What began in 1974 is a journey of the bloodline, thicker than water and infinitely more special.  We only had a few days together during that initial meeting but agreed to keep in touch and exchanged addresses.

Letter writing soon began.  Janet was a city girl and I the country cousin.  Mostly we exchanged letters about boys and dreams.  I was in love with a young man.  Janet desired to work in a candle store at a mall in the metro area where she lived.  As so often happens, the letters became less frequent and at some point we drifted apart. We moved on to other pursuits while young and intent upon living life to its fullest.

Many years later in I began to think about my cousin.  I asked my aunt if she could get an address and phone number.  She did and I called.  By coincidence she had been thinking about me also.  It was as if no time had passed and once again we were good friends.

In the fall of 1997, my husband and I flew to Washington D.C. to visit.  Janet's husband and mine attended the Promise Keepers rally at the capital and witnessed the amazing historic moment when men sang "Amazing Grace" acapella in the metro system and it echoed through the corridors.

Since then our family has vacationed and spent time with her family.  Last fall when my daughter was nominated to attend the National Young Leaders Conference in Chevy Chase Maryland, I jumped at the chance to accompany her.  While she attended the leaders conference I would have the opportunity to spend time with friends and relatives.

There are many family dynamics that come into play whenever I am around Great Uncle Tom's family.  He has one daughter Polly whose voice is musical to me.  You see her voice, rich and full of Alabama accent sounds so much like that of my own grandmother Emma.  I cannot get enough of hearing her speak.  Janet's mother bears a strong resemblance to her aunt, my grandmother.  Her sister looks so much like my mother's oldest sister that being with her almost takes my breath away.  And then there's Janet who has mannerisms and laughter so much like another cousin that it's uncanny.

Our families did not grow up together since many miles separated us but we are indeed close.  On March 23, 2003 as I stood in my cousin's church with our arms raised in worship, I couldn't help but think about how a death brought us together.  Her grandfather's death was not a finality but instead a beginning.  Of course Great Uncle Tom never knew that Emma's granddaughter had connected with his grandchild.  But I wonder if he does now?

The bible tells us a great cloud of witnesses surrounds us. (Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.)

Our husbands stood at the nation's capital and prayed, repented and confessed the sins of our nation.  Janet and I worship together when given the opportunity.  And so this is how the story goes as far back as I can recall...

Blood Line: Captain Thomas Jefferson Cypert begat Millard Fillmore who begat John Thomas who begat Frances who begat Janet.  Captain Thomas Jefferson Cypert begat Millard Fillmore who begat Mary Emma who begat Laurine who begat LaRose.

Next time you read all those genealogies in the bible, think about how God knows you intimately and also those who have gone before.

 LaRose Karr is a church secretary and a contributing writer to "God Allows U-Turns," volumes 1, 2, 3 & 4, published under the Promise Imprint by Barbour Publishing.  Her work has also appeared in "The Upper Room" devotional guide.  Her writing credits include historical and technical writing, newsletter publication, producing an internet digest, also compiling and editing a cookbook.  She believes her writing is a gift from God and gives HIM all the glory! She is the editor of  "Moonflower Ministry Digest," an online Christian digest reaching 13 countries around the world weekly. She is available to speak to groups or church events, and is a CLASS graduate. (Christian Leaders Authors Speakers Services) Contact: rosiebay at kci.net