TheBanyanTree: Spring Winter Storms

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 5 05:58:15 PST 2003

The idea of extending daylight into the evening hours offers a lot of
possibilities, especially at this time of year. I was hoping when we
switched to daylight savings time that I could begin working on the yard and
getting it ready for spring planting. But this is Minnesota and spring
doesn't exist here in a rational way.

Our snow was gone. The brown lawns were waiting for some warm sun to turn
them green. The trees are thick with buds ready to explode into leaves. As
the deep frost melted, the ground was mushy and gooey and the wild winds of
the last few days were drying it out.

It clouded up the other day and a gentle drizzle became ice bullets driven
by a fierce north wind. The roads turned into mirrors of ice that challenged
the best of winter drivers.

And just when it seemed safe to declare spring officially was here, the sky
became crowded with angry winter clouds and a wet, sticky snow began to
fall. The first layer of snow froze on the roads and once again cars were
flying into ditches as the robins watched this curious site from the trees.

The good things about spring snowstorms is that they melt fast (if we get
warm temps) and since the ground isn't frozen solid anymore, their moisture
content seeps into the earth. We need that moisture.

And looking at the weather forecast for this week, even with the sun staying
with us into the wee evening hours, I won't feel like going into the yard.
It's going to be cold and with a possibility of more snow. The oak leaves
will be wet and heavy and partially frozen and not fun to rake. It's too
early to uncover the garden beds, because the delicate plants might freeze.

Maybe our weather will take a turn for the better by Easter. Thank goodness
Easter is late this year. That gives spring a chance.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at earthlink.net

http://www.polarispublications.com
Be a star!

http://www.skywaybpw.org
Skyway Business and Professional Women
Working women connecting.

http://www.bpwmn.org

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our
children.
~Native American Proverb